buying a Dodge to burn ATF or WMO?

broncobilly_69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm thinking about getting a Gen 2 ******'s and burning used ATF (Hopefully still conacting shops to check on availabilty) or WMO. I have a few questions. I'll start with the stupid one. Gen 2's are not common rail, right, CRs are gen 3? I want an automatic trans, are there any years I should shy away from due to weak trans? I will be towing and it'll be a 4X4. What are the differences between the 2500 and 3500 trucks? Anybody with experience burning ATF at high ratios 50% and up please share your experience and anything extra you do since you are running ATF.
I appreciate any guidance you guys can give me.

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gen 2's are not common rail-they have the vp44 pump

the auto's in the dodge trucks were not the strongest but there are upgrades that help (my knoledge about tranny's is slim too none)

if you want a truck just for burning wmo/atf I would highly recomend a cummins with a p7100 injection pump. the P-pumps will have no problem pumping the atf but the vp44 pumps have been known to be weak (not recommended)
the P-pumps came in earlier 12 valve engines 98.5 and older

these injection pumps are bullet proof they are absolutly tuff as nails and it would not supprise me to hear of someone running a P-pump cummins off of heated roofing tar with these pumpsLOL. i know of numerous people who use these engines to burn straight crude oil. (i'm not kiddin)
if you are worried about loosing power goin from 24 to 12 valves you could get the vp44 pump engine(98.5-2002) and when the pump fails do a P-pump retrofit.(costly);Really

if i was you i would buy a 12valve cummins truck-
put water injection on it to keep the chambers clean
do a couple mods to keep up with the 24valvers
replace the lift pump with a pump that will not care about pumping straight oil
then i would burn wmo/atf in the thing till the wheels fell off
when it gets cold out i would then put in alittle kero to thin it
-if its a P-pump truck it a burn whatever oil you give it(within reason ofcoarseyoull need too filter and dewater) centrifuge works wonders and ends up being cheaper in the long run

2500-3500
i believe the 3500's have stronger rear springs and a deeper gear and the availability of the duelly option

i would really do some research into the 12valves before i purchased a cummins for wmo, i think you will agree with my opinions after you do so;Sweet