Any one running wmo in a toyota 1kz engine?

Patrol

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking at running waste tractor trans oil in a 93 toyota landcruiser kzj78 with a 1kz idi engine. Anyone got any experience with them, I know it's a long shot as all you guys are state side with all the big yank tanks, I'm limited to *** and euro vehicles. Just want to see if it's viable before I start. Cheers

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about that engine exactly, but as long as it's mechanically injected you should be fine. And since it's IDI that's even better. I'd start with a 50/50 oil to diesel mix and move up or down according to your engines taste.

If you could do a 2 tank system to warm up on diesel and switch to a heavy oil blend (90%oil) that might be an option.

What type of fuel pump do you have? I prefer a mechanical pump over an electric, and that's something to consider; will your pump pump it?

Patrol

Reaction score
Its an electronicaly controlled pump, how does that effect running on oil? I'm looking a putting veriable resistors in to adjust timing and fuel pressure on the fly while running on waste oil.
Also does boost effect running on waste oil?

Last edited:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its an electronicaly controlled pump, how does that effect running on oil? I'm looking a putting veriable resistors in to adjust timing and fuel pressure on the fly while running on waste oil.
Also does boost effect running on waste oil?
As far as an electric pump goes, it's just a question of will it pump the thicker fluid. And a turbo will definitely help with combustion. I don't know anything about the electronic timing control stuff, advancing the timing a degree or so is supposed to help though. But my general statement on WMO beginners is this; WMO is a learning curve, you have to figure out what works for you, your climate, and your truck. You can only learn on the fly, you WILL sit on side of the road wondering why you're truck just died, but if you stick with it you'll figure it out and exclaim, "nanny, nanny, boo, boo!", to all the people sitting at a gas station.

Last edited:

Mt_Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed with Jesus freak. Start with baby steps and work up from there. Also have fun with it, cause it is you can tailor it to your situation. Electrically controlled injection looks like it just doesn't use a direct connection from the accelerator peddle to the injection pump. It is still mechanical injection past that. Correct? Mechanical injection tend to work well with wmo.

Patrol

Reaction score
Yeah it is mechanical injection past that just "Fly by wire throttle" and timing/pump pressure adjusted electronically. Would you guys suggest running a duel tank setup from the beginning or just start with % mixes and single tank?
Agreed with Jesus freak. Start with baby steps and work up from there. Also have fun with it, cause it is you can tailor it to your situation. Electrically controlled injection looks like it just doesn't use a direct connection from the accelerator peddle to the injection pump. It is still mechanical injection past that. Correct? Mechanical injection tend to work well with wmo.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dual tank will certainly get you out of a spot if your oil is bad and it will give you the warm up on diesel and run on oil option. I wouldn't modify too much until you see your more electronic system will drink it.

Mt_Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thin all my fuel for a single tank system and had good success but you have to see what your engine likes. In theory the dual tank would let you run higher percent wmo blends the single tank. Cleaning the oil is really important for longevity of components.

Kiwif150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a guy in Nelson who is running wmo in a 2.5 wlt courier , i'll see if i can find his youtube channel for you...... there is also another bloke in CHCH who was running wmo in a 3.1 bighorn. there is a fb page dedicated to alt fuel in oz and they have guys running veg oil in them there.

I'm running used transformer oil in my 02 f250 as well as my mates 94 td27 mistral.

Patrol

Reaction score
There is a guy in Nelson who is running wmo in a 2.5 wlt courier , i'll see if i can find his youtube channel for you...... there is also another bloke in CHCH who was running wmo in a 3.1 bighorn. there is a fb page dedicated to alt fuel in oz and they have guys running veg oil in them there.

I'm running used transformer oil in my 02 f250 as well as my mates 94 td27 mistral.
That would be much appreciated, cant find much on the net my self when it comes to *** stuff and wmo, seems to just be yank tanks and German tanks haha. With all the toyota forum guys boohooing the idea. I've got a centrifuge but have had a ***** of a time setting it up, wrong sized pump and hoses/ fittings, tried to do it the elcheapo way and buy a centrifuge then scrounge all the parts free to get it up and running, dumb idear. But should have it all go soon. I've got access to unlimited tractor trans oil so thought I'd give that a crack as it's already a light viscosity. If it runs in the bighorn it should run in the 1kz.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be much appreciated, cant find much on the net my self when it comes to *** stuff and wmo, seems to just be yank tanks and German tanks haha. With all the toyota forum guys boohooing the idea. I've got a centrifuge but have had a ***** of a time setting it up, wrong sized pump and hoses/ fittings, tried to do it the elcheapo way and buy a centrifuge then scrounge all the parts free to get it up and running, dumb idear. But should have it all go soon. I've got access to unlimited tractor trans oil so thought I'd give that a crack as it's already a light viscosity. If it runs in the bighorn it should run in the 1kz.
Sweet, sounds like you've got some confirmation! Let us know how it goes, please post some pictures of your elcheepo set up.

Kiwif150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is that guy with the wlt
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

There is also a guy that goes by the name of kerrynzl who runs it in a 4m40 pajero ... he is scattered across a few forums too.

Last edited:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is that guy with the wlt
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

There is also a guy that goes by the name of kerrynzl who runs it in a 4m40 pajero ... he is scattered across a few forums too.
I'd just say: filter it a bit before you just pour it in the tank.

And he must work for the post office, his steering wheel is on the wrong side!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7