Business trip to Hypermax

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'll be taking a business trip to Hypermax at the end of this week. If you have any concerns or questions you would like me to bring to their attention, let me know. As a Hypermax rep, I try to do what I can to help them help us.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No questions Mel but thanks for asking. I still have my complete new intercooler I paid 480 bucks for off of ebay way too many years ago to admit to.. Its shameful I have not installed it yet but I need to modify the hat to fit under my Banks wastegated sidewinder turbo. No excuses are enough to explain why I have not done this. I'm just lazy ..... I had 2 hypermax intercoolers and sold one a few years ago to a member of this forum. I sure hope they installed it too. I can be a bad influence....:angel::angel::angel:

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
No questions Mel but thanks for asking. I still have my complete new intercooler I paid 480 bucks for off of ebay way too many years ago to admit to.. Its shameful I have not installed it yet but I need to modify the hat to fit under my Banks wastegated sidewinder turbo. No excuses are enough to explain why I have not done this. I'm just lazy ..... I had 2 hypermax intercoolers and sold one a few years ago to a member of this forum. I sure hope they installed it too. I can be a bad influence....:angel::angel::angel:

Ill give ya 481 dollars for it :)

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes Mel..

Details on the Mythical beast 1200hp 6.9 engine...as much as you can find out....full build specs etc..results of dyno runs..cams...the whole enchilada....and head gaskets.....

My enquiring mind wamts to know

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They have p-pumped an IDI before (and are doing so to PSD's). Just wondering what it took to do so. Parts still available? I know this is fantasy land, but it's is fun to play "what if" sometimes.

More reality based question would be what if anything is new from their world IDI-wise?

Heath

Last edited:

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess my question would be, what is there for a better turbo setup for an IDI. not sure if Mel already has one or not. I feel as though more boost would help, maybe? It seems once I hit the waste gate at 2,500 RPM, 11 LBS of boost it has power there but any more RPM and the power level seems the same. I have no dyno numbers to prove this, just a feel

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I recall this hypermax idi had a twin turbo setup. It was P pumped and a special huge highly modified intake was made. I think RDI has a similar intake design too. I'm not sure but maybe it was a modified direct injection head fabbed up too. The engine made so much hp that the idi only freeze plugs would not stay in the block. So they used the rubber expansion type plugs we all know about. They could have easily installed the Boss 429 threaded freeze plugs too. Still wondering why they did not use them. The guy that owned this monster idi engine did this to run it at truck pulls. The created a rule that made this engine unable to compete.. I guess thats one way of beating someone but not really fair. So the guy drove it at the drag races where he showed em.....

ps444mike

Reaction score
I have a 97 Obs.. an would love to put there cast valve covers that they you in the p pump application.. they do have blank off plates for not p pump installs but need a oil fill an breather mount..

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested to know if they plan to stop making any of their IDI kits or parts in the next 3-5 years. Particularly their Inter coolers. for the ATS turbos.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new turbo system soon as my Banks won't work (easily at least) with a ZF5 and is not exactly ideal. Options I'm considering:

1: Used ATS with wicked wheel, pain to find a complete setup though and gotta weight total investment vs a new or superior system that's ready to go no time wasted hunting parts or fighting work out or crusty junk.

2: Hypermax new, possibly with intercooler. I like that it's new in the box proven bolt on easy performance and fitment. Dislike that it's probably not vastly superior to my current Banks. I believe with the Bull Moose pump it could use more air. I am interested in whether you have done any more development on your Moose Boost system based on Hypermax hot side. How close to bolt on? Intercooler an easy addition that can come packaged? Does Hypermax have anything new or different for the IDI in the works that I should hold off for or consider?

3. R&D system, either complete hot side, turbo, intercooler, or some combination thereof maybe with a ball bearing water cooled turbo as after your Moose Boost thread I think there are is some merit to it. I like the higher flowing log manifolds, shorter up pipes, v bands, and stainless. Dislike that this may involve more time and work to piece together exactly what I want (which I don't know exactly what I want just yet), or for fitment if I do less than the whole package.

I'd like my ZF5 swapped in and new turbo done before summer. I'm still undecided, but shying away from the ATS+WW option unless something falls in my lap that's too good a deal to pass up. Leaning towards R&D, but sell me on Hypermax. If your upgraded Hypermax system is a ready to go deal I'd be torn.

Aside from that info on the Hypermax P-pump build would be cool, but it's just bench racing and dreaming. I'll be ready to buy soon and I want the best performing turbo system for my truck in the most complete package available. The new pump is great and I want to maximize the benefit of it with a bit more air, but I'm worried when I start towing this summer I'll be even more EGT limited than before. It's one thing to be doing 30 MPH in a 65 at the top of a grade with my foot in the pump and no more power to be had. It's another to be doing 30 MPH because I don't want to melt pistons or crack heads.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online