Bumper tow?

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don have that suburban any more I took it south for my sister in law but I kept the tow bar all I did was tie into the frame where the tow hooks are located and bolted it there I used two 5/8 pins to tie to the tow bar and I pulled it 70 to 75 mph for 700 miles without a problem if you want I can take a few pick of the bar by it's self
Thank you for the offer, but I already have a bar. Just need to work out how I am going to mount it. :D

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just so I'm hearing you right, if you have a ZF 4x4 and need to tow it you can leave both drive shafts installed? Just put Tcase in neutral and somehow it pumps through both itself and the transmission?
I find that hard to believe but then again until a few years ago I didnt even know that you'll torch a ZF by towing it even in neutral because the oil pump is off the input shaft.
If you have the tcase in neutral, the transmission would not be spinning at all - wouldn't matter how the trans is. Just leave it in gear!

As long as the t-case has a pump on the output side to lube things(or gets enough lube from splashing), you'll be fine. Otherwise... well, at least it's just a t-case.

Alternatively, the 'long-distance' option that's been stated here several times is to just pull the four rear u-joint bolt/nuts and drop the rear half of the rear driveline. Now the only thing moving is the rear axle, which will be lubing itself no matter how it spins.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the IDI Era Trucks:

80-86 - Bullnose

87-91 - Bricknose

92-97 - OBS (Coined by the PSD Guys - Old Body Style, Original Body Style (first body style of the PSD) I've also heard these call the Aero Body Style
I'm gonna have to unlike this, so I can like it again! :D :Thumbs Up

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the new bumper just can’t handle 7000 lbs like the older ones did.
Will the older bumpers bolt on to an OBS 1994 E350 van?

I am about to get my older bumpers powdered black...but having an older bumper with a level top would be nice...especially for leaving bolt holes for mounting of vise.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Just so I'm hearing you right, if you have a ZF 4x4 and need to tow it you can leave both drive shafts installed? Just put Tcase in neutral and somehow it pumps through both itself and the transmission?
Nope. The transfer case will pump oil through itself because the oil is driven off of the rear out put, which is being turned by the rear driveshaft that's still attached at both ends. The transfer case is in neutral so that nothing besides the rear output is turning. The front output and the transfer case input aren't connected to the rear output when it's in neutral. Since the transmission is connected to the transfer case input, which isn't turning, nothing inside the transmission is turning. If the fluid is going between the transmission and transfer case, there's issues. These are both sealed units.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
old body style 90's trucks
I believe that it comes from Ford literature (as posted on here some years ago) and means Other Body Style. It can't mean "Old" since at the time, this was the newest body style that there was.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online