Building a better db2

Ferd_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over on Facebook I announced that the stage one injectors are getting an upgrade-
"First look at the new stage one injectors, featuring brand new German manufactured bodies, nozzles and pintles based on the G code nozzles our original stage one injectors used. These new injectors feature a larger charging port cavity to fit a much larger spring with extra coils to extend the lifetime of the injector before it starts to drop pop pressure, while still retaining the oem Stanadyne shim size. The nozzle tip is beveled for easier installation into the cylinder head, and the end cap is anodized to prevent any rusting from water seeping down the injector threads, a common issue with the oem design. The cost of these injectors are slightly higher at $500 shipped, but require no core, and will maintain a more consistent spray pattern, pop pressure and performance than any rebuilt injector that reuses original components. Available at ClassicDieselDesigns.com soon!"
You must be registered for see images attach

Using the same German manufacturer, Ive been working on putting together a design for a new head and rotor for our pumps, basing them off the existing assemblies but reproducing them with some upgrades to handle the heavy loads of a high displacement pump with our modern dry diesel fuel. Next week I will get to test the first of these head and rotors in a ford db2 housing, the upgrades it has over stock are:

-.370" plungers over the stock .310"
-1/2" cam ring pin
-Single discharge rotor assembly vs the dual outlet on the factory assembly
-.050" extra stroke from the custom cam ring
-3/16" over bored delivery valve passage

With this using all new components, it solves a lot of problems with core quality and with the continued quality drop with stanadyne as their parts are being all built in china now, so the pumps are going to be a lot easier to setup and calibrate consistently, and I will be able to get much more fuel out of a fresh pump than trying to modify one half way through its lifespan, which makes for a longer lasting product for the customer as well. Working with the manufacturer I will have the ability to have these head and rotors built with .310 to .450" plungers, so once everything is dialed in and I work up to the larger plunger sizes, in theory should be able to make much more fuel than has

This is awesome Wes. You, justin, mel have done so much with this platform. Glad we are blessed with your presence in the idi world. The products you make and the knowledge is outstanding. Cant wait to see how these pumps turn out

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not with this kind of atomization :D

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
No more splash ignition, eh? Is this more for power or economy, or both? Does it bode well for the pre-cup design? I know you played with some low pressure bosch nozzles a while back...

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s pretty nifty. I’ll be interested to see how they do.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I won’t know until I can get the shop truck running again and can start testing them. This is just a stock 5x.016 nozzle, I have options up to 5x.035 which would be quite a bit larger than our nozzles, and with five orfices it disperses the fuel much better than our pintle injectors. Ive replaced plenty of injectors in trucks that ran fine but sprayed at an almost 90* angle so I really don’t think the splash ignition may be as important as it seems, these heads create enough heat in the precup they don’t really seem to care. Ideally, this will have better ignition and flow, but it will have to be tested, for now just speculating.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's pretty cool. I've always wondered if anyone has ever tried a multi hole injector in an idi.

I've also got ideas rolling around in my head about a 2 stage injector that operates like a pintle injector at low fuel volume, but at higher volume/pressures it will open more passages and spray like a multi-hole injector. Look up pintaux nozzle to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I won’t know until I can get the shop truck running again and can start testing them. This is just a stock 5x.016 nozzle, I have options up to 5x.035 which would be quite a bit larger than our nozzles, and with five orfices it disperses the fuel much better than our pintle injectors. Ive replaced plenty of injectors in trucks that ran fine but sprayed at an almost 90* angle so I really don’t think the splash ignition may be as important as it seems, these heads create enough heat in the precup they don’t really seem to care. Ideally, this will have better ignition and flow, but it will have to be tested, for now just speculating.
Do you think these would be like the 3m’s? ******* pistons and what not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online