Building a bed crane. Need advice

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I realised thats my problem, the store bought ones dont use bearings but they put put the mounting point for the cylinder low on the shaft. I was going to buy a hrabor freight one but wanted to be able to transfer it from truck to truck as needed. So I bought the engine hoist used on Ebay for $75.00 and at this point I have 100-120 in the whole project, it will be a little more when I get a couple jacks for outriggers, but I have enough steel left over from the hoist to build a HD engine stand.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are going to put a jack stand on each side of where the crane mounts into your hitch receiver to keep it from trying to roll to one side or the other, right? What are you going to do to support it and prevent it from twisting away from the truck when the crane is pointed straight back with a load on it?

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
actually if he puts the jacks down on each end they would become a pivit and actually push up into the truck not pull away

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not in the direction I'm talking about they won't. Picture this. The crane is pointed straight back - parallel to the bed but pointing away from the cab.

Start lifting a load with it and it torque is going to make the crane boom tip towards the ground - unless there is an outrigger or support of some kind preventing it from doing so.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Not in the direction I'm talking about they won't. Picture this. The crane is pointed straight back - parallel to the bed but pointing away from the cab.

Start lifting a load with it and it torque is going to make the crane boom tip towards the ground - unless there is an outrigger or support of some kind preventing it from doing so.

A jack on each end will distribute the torsional force you speek of to the ground. Using the weight of the truck by to provide plenty of surface to ground friction should take care of it. He may even weld some grips to the foot of the jack to make it bite into the ground surface better and stabalize the torsional force.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score

With no jack stands down if you pick up a load straight out behind the truck the whole back of the truck is gonna squat trying to pull the hitch off the frame. Now put the jack stands on his cross bar down against the ground and when you pick up that load the down preasure is gonna be on the jack stands with everything behind that going down and everything on the truck side trying to go up. Of course its not going straight up so its still gonna be torqued but the short distance from the jack stands is not gonna be near the torque as from clear out at the end of the boom. If its a good solid hitch I wouldn't be worried about it anyway if I expect it to hold a loaded trailer

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Updated design

Heres the almost done version, I changed the way the boom mounts to the piviot because I didnt like how much it moved when picking things up. I have a couple of bearing riding on a 1" shaft through the center now. The second "outriggor" will have a trailer jack on it to help preload the main support beam and to allow me to pull the pin in the other stand after the truck is loaded.

Attachments

• 0106091148a[1].JPG
    0106091148a[1].JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 0106091148b[1].JPG
    0106091148b[1].JPG
    156 KB · Views: 17
  • 0106091148c[1].JPG
    0106091148c[1].JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 16

obinella

Reaction score
found this on a welding forum
the outrigger is held on with a pin

Attachments

• Revised%20HF%20Hoist%201.jpg
    Revised%20HF%20Hoist%201.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Revised%20HF%20Hoist%204.jpg
    Revised%20HF%20Hoist%204.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine are pinned on too. Its really not that bad to remove, the boom and upright will slide out of the main beam when you pull the pin. If I want to make it lighter I can just pull the 2 bolts that hold the boom and cylinder on and take that off first. Its heavy but still moveable LOL

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine are pinned on too. Its really not that bad to remove, the boom and upright will slide out of the main beam when you pull the pin. If I want to make it lighter I can just pull the 2 bolts that hold the boom and cylinder on and take that off first. Its heavy but still moveable LOL

Are those bolts that heavy.:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao sorry, I couldnt help it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fizzle