Bronco Diesel Swap

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gotta say it's an accomplishment. I agree with welding that oil filter hole myself. I plan on doing that ASAP.

My project is months behind schedule but it's still progressing, if nothing but gathering parts. LOL the bare frame will be home soon to start the sandblast and fab.

Looks very interesting and hope it works well for you. Hows that heavy diesel in the mud...sink like a stone I bet?

dslbroncotom

Diesel Bronco Tom
Reaction score
I gotta say it's an accomplishment. I agree with welding that oil filter hole myself. I plan on doing that ASAP.

My project is months behind schedule but it's still progressing, if nothing but gathering parts. LOL the bare frame will be home soon to start the sandblast and fab.

Looks very interesting and hope it works well for you. Hows that heavy diesel in the mud...sink like a stone I bet?

Dang, I wish I coulda torn it all the way down to the frame and done it right. Mine was kinda a spur of the moment thing, the plan was eventually to do the diesel swap for the time being I was gonna swap in a 460 I had, then one night on CL looking for parts for the 460 swap I found the donor 89 f250 with the diesel for 700, I called the guy and went out there first thing the next morning picked up the truck, and I ended up getting it for 550. 2 weeks later I had the diesel in the truck. I call it a dirty swap, cause nothing was cleaned, everything was just swapped all greasy and nasty.

I havent had the truck in any kinda serious mud yet cause I havnt had 4wd (stock 44 front w/ 3.55's, dana 70hd rear w/ 4.10's), when I get this d60 swapped in and get it out to the mud Ill let ya know how she does

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
dont hope for much in the mud. mine finds the bottom of every hole. i try and stay away from the bottomless holes.

after adding the turbo it is much better, can hold rpm in second gear high now spinning all 4, sometimes even grab 3rd.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
what size tires? with smaller i could. not with the 36's. the 33's i could. i got same gearing as u too.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Aww, what the hell man.. You oughta just take that that thing to the limit- I was thinking about what Riotwarrior said about the heavy diesel sinking in the mud, and I say since it's gonna be 4x4, just go ahead and make it an 8x8. Yeah seriously, put dual's on the front too, it'll dang sure be the only one like it and think of all that extra flotation & traction you'll have in the front.

1994IDI

Reaction score
Great looking truck. I like all of your projects. If no one told you though, the camaro is way out of place LOL. It's beautiful though. Keep up the pictures.

dslbroncotom

Diesel Bronco Tom
Reaction score
Aww, what the hell man.. You oughta just take that that thing to the limit- I was thinking about what Riotwarrior said about the heavy diesel sinking in the mud, and I say since it's gonna be 4x4, just go ahead and make it an 8x8. Yeah seriously, put dual's on the front too, it'll dang sure be the only one like it and think of all that extra flotation & traction you'll have in the front.

haha to be honest I actually thought about doing that! I seen an old chevy from up north that done that and even had some dually fenders molded into the front fender to cover the tires, I guess thats pretty common up north for the snow and such.

Talk about floatation! thats papa smurf, he likes to drive out onto lakes:
You must be registered for see images attach

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha to be honest I actually thought about doing that! I seen an old chevy from up north that done that and even had some dually fenders molded into the front fender to cover the tires, I guess thats pretty common up north for the snow and such.

Talk about floatation! thats papa smurf, he likes to drive out onto lakes:
You must be registered for see images attach

That's an awesome picture! Nothing like a 70s Ford going swimming. I love checking out trucks from your neck of the woods, you guys build like I do. Overdoing things is my families way of life, if you need a bolt that's 5/16 then go with 1/2 inch because it will hold stronger. I'm referring to a stereo shelf my dad once made out of 1/4" angle iron, 3/4" plywood, and bolts that went all the way into the next room through the wall.

You should see our tractors and trucks...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin