Broken dipstick!!!

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
Well, I got back from Colorado Tuesday and decided to change the oil in the '89. Well, I added the oil and went to remove the dipstick when it "slipped" out and the only thing that came out were the yellow handle and about 6" or so of the inner tube thingy -cuss-cuss-cuss

So am I stuck dropping the pan to recover the stick? Or is there a way to pull out the tube? Either way sucks and I'd hate to do either one.

Like I heard from a family friend before..."Nothin ever goes right on a farm" < Damn right nothing goes right ;Pissed

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I don't know when they made the change, but my 1985 6.9s have the tube pressed into the block with a little tab bolted to the exhaust manifold. When I rebuilt the engine, I threw away the tab because I couldn't figure out how to bolt it back on. The tube is held in with locktite now. If you can get it loose and wiggle it around, it should be able to pull out through the exhaust manifold with the broken end of the dipstick still inside. Good luck, it is a tight fit in there!

Now, after reading your post again, forget everything I said. All you need to do is unbolt the tube holder and pull everything out, replace the O ring and dipstick, then you're back in business. If you need a dipstick, I have a spare I got by mistake at a junkyard (different length than the old 6.9).

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Pull the tube CAREFULLY while pinching your fingers at the bottom of the tube as it comes out of the block, because if the remainder of the dipstick is still residing in the tube, you will want to catch it and pull it out with the tube. You do not want that sucker to slip away when it looses the thing that may be holding it from dropping completely into the pan. It may have already happened, but just in case...

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try that. I have a spare dipstick from that 7.3 I was going to scrap.

No, I didn't scrap that yet LOL. But, I've got a load in the truck now and I'm waiting to cut up that old POS bed that came with the '89 before I go. What a coincidence huh?

How do I know the tube is seated all the way? Will it have a "click" feeling?

Thanks again

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
Well, I got the tube AND stick out. yay. But I think the o-ring is still in the block, but I've got senior pics soon and I want to make sure I am squeaky clean for those pictures :eek:

And on 2nd thought, forget all that about my "replacement dipstick" Because its all bent to hell cause it was off a rollover motor. So I might need that dipstick of yours knuckledragger

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try that. I have a spare dipstick from that 7.3 I was going to scrap.

No, I didn't scrap that yet LOL. But, I've got a load in the truck now and I'm waiting to cut up that old POS bed that came with the '89 before I go. What a coincidence huh?

How do I know the tube is seated all the way? Will it have a "click" feeling?

Thanks again

The dipstick tube goes into the block with an oring . Hopefully yours is still in good shape, if so grease it up and gently push it down in till it stops and then clamp it at the top and you're done, if the oring is shot, good luck. Don't bother going to ford, their catalog is wrong. The one that comes in the aftermarlet gasket sets is correct. It's an oddball thin oring. Might be able to get one at a Cat dealer but most just clean up the area real good with brake parts cleaner and silicone the daylights out of the connection.

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
I used an o-ring from an a/c kit we had at work. When I bought my truck two weeks ago the dipstick was bad (kinked at the block and routed wrong). At the block is a fitting, so the tube doesn't go directly into the block but into the small fitting that press's into the block.

I purchased both the dipstock tube and the little fitting that goes into the block, but turns out I only needed the tube the fitting was fine. I had to remove the starter to gain access though.

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
I did notice that fitting on the "spare/junk" motor. I cant find that o-ring, so how much stress does that connection go through? Would it be ok to use gasket maker or silicone along with a close matching o-ring?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I never use the o-ring. I just use permatex copper plus rtv. I never have had any leaks in years of using this method. The key is to get itcompletely clean with brake clean cause it wont leave any residue and getting the trv all the way around the tube.Usually I apply the trv to the tube and the small block fitting. Then slide the tube into the fitting. The block side is the hard area to see if you have good coverage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online