Broke the crank

mainiac

Reaction score
6.9 came outta the truck yesterday, and I got some time to see why the crank had an 8th inch of end play.
The lobe at the #3 main cap is cranked, didn't go any farther from there.
The thrust bearing is toast, but didn't hurt the block as far as I can see at this point.
Anyone bought a used crank and got it polished or turned and had any issues.
I'm sure these are expensive to get from Napa or the dealerships.
Going to get a crank and also freshen up with new rings and a good honing, bearings, get the heads done up and such.

Mike

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I am going to have to get this 85 motor I have torn down and parted out. Seems like everyone needs parts but not the whole motor! :)

mainiac

Reaction score
That would be cool.
I wonder if those 12 lb boost pressures caused this?

mainiac

Reaction score
69oiler, that would be nice to have, I could use the block heater. Only, getting it here in Maine is the only problem.
Ever ship a block before?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For freight shipping I use FreightQuote

Mistie Parker
Account Representative
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 888-875-7822 ext 1779
Fax: 913-319-0605

Give her a call, she's super nice to work with and can help you greatly if it's the 1st time you've ever shipped something by truck, and she can often easily beat rates you will get from calling companies directly.

I'm shipping a 500 lb pallet to PA tomorrow for about $154 via Roadway Express with her as the broker.

Also if you book something through her tell her she owes the "TonkaDoctor" one of those Omaha Steaks Cheesecakes for the refferal.....Mmmmmm:love: Yummy

If you have any further questions on shipping by freight feel free to PM me.

Mike

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
nope never shipped a block. looked into shipping the heads to NC and FedEx wanted almost $200.

mainiac

Reaction score
$200, ouch.
I've got a heavy duty account at Napa and they quoted me $400 for a reman'd crank with bearings. Not too shabby, I guess. Didn't call IH, won't bother with Ford. Those dopes at Auburn Ford are not very intersted in helping customers.
I'll keep everyone posted.
Thanks!
Mike

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
If you have any machine shops around, check with them as well. The one I worked at kept about 400 core cranks on the racks and we could always grind one and sell it cheaper than the autoparts stores.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mainiac said:
$200, ouch.
I've got a heavy duty account at Napa and they quoted me $400 for a reman'd crank with bearings. Not too shabby, I guess. Didn't call IH, won't bother with Ford. Those dopes at Auburn Ford are not very intersted in helping customers.
I'll keep everyone posted.
Thanks!
Mike

If you're up in Auburn, it might be worthwhile to get hold of Paul at DAS in Vancouver BC. He specializes in these engines, and he's often got parts layin' 'round that he'll part with for reasonable prices. He's helped me out a bunch of times.

Dieselautoservices.com

Zigg :)

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a suburban 6.2 diesel that had had a broken crank replaced. Within 5000 miles it broke again. I replaced the engine, because I thought something was wrong with the block. My point is that maybe you should get your block line bored or some other way to verify that you won't just have another broken crank in a few thousand miles.

personally I would get a different block.

akoldnav

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
akoldnav said:
I had a suburban 6.2 diesel that had had a broken crank replaced. Within 5000 miles it broke again. I replaced the engine, because I thought something was wrong with the block. My point is that maybe you should get your block line bored or some other way to verify that you won't just have another broken crank in a few thousand miles.

personally I would get a different block.

akoldnav
6.2/6.5's had a problem with the webbing down in the crank area of the block. that problem doesn't exist with IH. Why? IH went with heavy casting vs. GM went with a lightweight one.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
85 Motor

sle2115 said:
I am going to have to get this 85 motor I have torn down and parted out. Seems like everyone needs parts but not the whole motor! :)

What do you want for the whole motor, I'm looking for a 6.9 ......... Jim

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
LUCKY_LARUE60 said:
What do you want for the whole motor, I'm looking for a 6.9 ......... Jim

To get it out of my way, $200! Keep in mind, it will not turn a full revolution as there seems to be something in there. Had it running last spring and no strange noise or anything, but not sure what is going on. Would rather let someone else find out. I am going to list it with the T19 and Transfer case for $400 on EBay in the next day or two and see where it all ends up!