breaking records.......or just parts

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it was pretty cold here this morning, something around 18 degrees. My speedo cable had previously kinda jumped around when between 55-60 mph, well today it went all out on land speed records. LOL

You must be registered for see images attach

Also I have notice since it has gotten cold that my trottle seems to stick when I shift or let off the gas, this is just when it is really cold outside and is not related to cold idle sensor which is working fine. I wonder if there is moisture in the throttle cable? any ideas?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
WOW, I wonder if that is anything like ludacris speed?

Throttle cable, stick open, or closed. I assume you mean you take your foot off the pedal and the RPM's stay up? Could be the lube is getting gummy due to age. Also make sure you have both return springs on the cable. To lube the cable, one thing I have read on here by Midnight Rider that works well for him is to remove the cable, take it inside, and introduce a thin oil into the cable, maybe something like 3-in-one oil, and then he hangs it behind his wood stove to get it warm. He adds a bit of oil periodically until he sees it start to come out the other end. Let it "cook" for the night, and he says he has had that cable on his truck and others that he has done this to for decades and they work great.

For the speedo cable.... I would pull it out and see how it turns.... also see how the speedo reacts. We had an 83 that would "flop" from about 35 - 60. We replaced the cable, and lubed it properly several times and was not able to fix it. With it pointing straight down, I wonder if something in the speedo head itself has failed. Does it move at all, or is it always pointing at your feet now?

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after shutting the truck off and then driving it again just a moment ago the speedo is working but is reading fast by 5mph. I've got a cable lube deal for my motorcycle's and their throttle cables and clutch cables, so i will give that a try.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine has been doing that for a year. Reading high then after a while driving it warms up inside and the speedo starts reading normal. But it still jumps up quick , like 0 to 35 in 2 seconds. Replaced cable and sensor. Still acting funny.

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmmm, that's interesting. Well it was pretty close to being correct this morning. it was reading fast by 3mph(according to phone) in the lower 10-45mph range.

Black dawg

Reaction score
problem is in the speedo head, you can take everything apart and clean and lube (very lightweight lube) and it will fix this.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
hmmmm, that's interesting. Well it was pretty close to being correct this morning. it was reading fast by 3mph(according to phone) in the lower 10-45mph range.

Not sure on the older trucks, but on my 03 Ex, I read 1-2 over if I am below 40. At 45 I am dead on, and above 50, I am a few under. If I put the needle right on the 80 "tick" on the speedo, the GPS consistently reads 74. The farther away from 45 I am, the more that its off. I am sure the GPS is not 100% accurate either, but it should be closer than the trucks is. This is also a "real" GPS a Magellan with the ~8" screen, which is a really nice size.... and mounted to the windshield. Haven't used a phone app, so not sure how close they are,

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen the needle down there before. Nothing broken either. Just a small hole pinched in the seat. :D

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aren't the older speedo heads magnetically driven by cable? I've done alot of reading up on my '91 and found that there is no fixing these.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. 91 F150, 302 automatic. 3.55 gears. That thing was gutless until you got it over 3500 but ran pretty good from 3500-5000. Much over 5 and she sounded like she was coming apart. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat