Brakes

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just added another truck to the fleet cookoo. A '92 3/4ton 4x4. The po told me about all the problems before I bought it ($1500). One of the problems was the brake pedal was real hard and didn't stop well at all. After I got it, I noticed that you could hear the vacum pump hissing as it ran. I pulled the line off of the brake booster and plugged the line with my thumb and the hissing stopped. I put a new booster on it and the brakes worked good, not great, for a day or two. Now they work good, sometimes, but only if the RPM's are up, like going down the road but the pedal gets hard after you pump it more than once or twice or if you're at a stop sign. I'm thinking that it's the vacum pump but what are the symptoms of a master cylinder going out?

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
sounds like with the new booster it finally made the vac pump give up the ghost

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
It's the vacuum pump. Replace it and you're good to go. Mine basically started braking worse and worse when the pump was going out. Then all of a sudden one day, no boost and couldn't stop for anything. New pump and all was better. This was the second vac pump to go out in 20 years/ 375,000 miles.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I would do both... Install a vacuum gauge and a new or rebuilt vac pump but.... Take a look at the master cylinder.... If they leak into the vacuum booster then you will be buying another booster if you don't replace the master cylinder... Just some thoughts as to why the booster failed....:D

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the vacuum pump. Replace it and you're good to go. Mine basically started braking worse and worse when the pump was going out. Then all of a sudden one day, no boost and couldn't stop for anything. New pump and all was better. This was the second vac pump to go out in 20 years/ 375,000 miles.

Try using both feet if that happens again. You will be able to stop then. Been their done that. It first happened to me and I had a 150 miles to drive it that way.

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear abs light has been on through all of this. I figures it would go out after everything started working right. What makes it come on and stay on?

Last edited:

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm not to worried with wheather or not they work right, i'd just like to know what can turn to light on

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online