Brake line replacement

Batman

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just finished replacing all of the brake lines on my truck. Yeah, they rusted out. I cannot believe how badly almost every line was rusted. I had a small hole in one of my lines. I realized, while replacing the lines, that replacing just one would have been ill-advised.

I was going to bend the lines myself. But, decided to go with pre-bent stainless lines instead. I purchased the flex lines and stainless line sets from EGR Brakes. Glenn was a huge help in getting the right parts and technical help I needed due to a brain fart.

Dodge Engineers are......amazing.......ly irritating! Not only did they make the doors with poor drainage, resulting in RUST. But, they used several different types of line fittings. From different sizes, to switching from standard to metric throughout...

In short, all owners of 2nd gen. trucks should do a thorough inspection of all lines, especially the one going to the rear brakes.

g

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
What do you expect the trucks were built in Mexico and so they just grab whatever they have available and slap on 'em....

Remember that you should change your brake fluid from time to time because brake fluid absorbs water and will rust out the system from the inside. I never really bought into that until a few years ago when I replaced the rear wheel cylinders and seen the rust on the INSIDE and how badly the fluid looked compared to new fluid. I put the chevy rear cylinders on mine - can't remember the part number but helps with adding more whoa power to the rears.

Batman

Reaction score
My lines rusted from the outside.
I flush my brake fluid once a year to minimize moisture absorption.