Brake drum questions

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
Is it posible to convert my rear drums to disk?
If it is would that be better with me hauling trailers all the time?:shoot::idiot:
;Poke

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I know a few people have just swapped newer E-series rears into their trucks to gain disks, but those are SRW rigs. In your case, if you were to find an F-superduty rear, they had disks and were set up as duallies but I don't know if any fab would have to be done. IIRC, the spring perches would be closer to the pumpkin than in your truck.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it posible to convert my rear drums to disk?
If it is would that be better with me hauling trailers all the time?:shoot::idiot:
;Poke

I probably haul heavier than most and long-distance as well.

I kicked around the idea of converting my rears to discs, not so much for better braking than for the much simpler maintenance.

I have ditched that idea for my purposes for two very important reasons; #1 being that the disc set-ups have very poor parking-brake systems and good parking-brakes are of extreme importance with a trailer in tow; #2 being that properly tuned DRUM brakes have way more square-inches of contact than discs and are superior for sheer stopping power.

Although I have not yet done so, I believe a good hydro-boost conversion would be money better spent.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
I used a kit that had Caddy calipers. They sucked! I replaced them with 3/4 ton Gmc fronts. I have since added a parking to the rear of my Brownie. Unless you are going to upgrade to hydroboost AND add a driveline parking brake, stick with the drums.

redmondjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other issue with discs is in rainy conditions when you haven't touched the brakes in a long time - that first second or two before the discs dry off and the pads grab can really get the heart rate up! With drums, this isn't as much of an issue as it is harder for water to get inside the drums.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other issue with discs is in rainy conditions when you haven't touched the brakes in a long time - that first second or two before the discs dry off and the pads grab can really get the heart rate up! With drums, this isn't as much of an issue as it is harder for water to get inside the drums.

Also, in my experience, drums grab harder and quicker when wet.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
There's a reason alot of semis still run drums on the steer axles. Hydroboost is a hydraulic brake booster that uses the pressure from your power steering to aid in stopping ability. There is a very nice write-up about doing the conversion in the tech section of this forum.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
There are only two benefits to disk, better cooling, and easier maintenance, Drums are much better for shear stopping power, now if you're the type to ride your breaks all the way down every grade then go for it, but if the breaks are just for stopping then stick with drums.