Brake controller

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The brakes on my trailer are not working right now, it happened while towing it would stop working at times :eek: and then if I press the manual brake it might come back ON but not allways. This is a new controller (prodigy) and when I installed it Mel did the connections for Me. It worked fine all the time except one time I noticed it I turn the position lights ON (blinking while I stop at a dumpster) it will also activate the brakes at every blink. Not it wont work at all.

I don't know much about electric so I can use any help. Thank you.

Roland_Jenkins

Señor Member
Reaction score
My guess would be a bad ground. Got another trailer you can hook up to your truck to see if the problem persists or goes away? That would narrow it down to the truck or trailer.

Also use a multimeter to check the voltage at the plug. Voltage should increase as the controller brake is applied.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought a new Prodigy for the Moose Truck. The Bronco will be on a trailer with electric brakes, so that will be a first. If you need any help with it EZ, I'll be happy to help you.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I think I'll have to make an appointment with you for that, You just really know what you do there and I rather learn from you specially if it is electric. Thank you Mel.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Free weekends are hard to come by this month for some reason. The 20th might be the best shot at this point.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suggest checking your rear brake light bulbs. Sometimes a bulb will burn out, and the filament will touch the other filament in the bulb, backfeeding current between the turn and brake circuits.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The lights are ok. This started slowly some times it would not work for a couple stops and then all good, not it wont work at all. Where is the brake controller relay?

Thank you.

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
What kind of shape is your headlight switch in?? Could you be getting some feedback via intermittant shorts across hot wires within the melted plug??

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
brakes

Exekiel69 said:
The lights are ok. This started slowly some times it would not work for a couple stops and then all good, not it wont work at all. Where is the brake controller relay?

Thank you.
I don't know of any brake controller relay. The power comes into the unit, it is activated when the brake light switch comes on, and then sends the power out to the plug. When I bought my new trailer in DE, they had a stack of Prodigy's they took out because of problems and went back to a basic time dealy unit. We had one here at work that had an intermitent brake switch causing a host of problems.

I would check the ground at the brakes on your trailer first though. I typically like to run a ground through the plug from the truck to the trailer and run a separate ground wire to the brakes. All too often the ground through the ball and also the grouond wire attached to the frame from the brakes just don't cut it. I would like to help you with the problem, but I don't have an immediate opening in my schedule either. Check those things out and let's go from there.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I don't have the trailer at home so I went to connect it and see what happen. Well everything was just fine, brake, lights everything. Maybe it would change after a few miles of driving in town but I don't figure what is cousing it. When I activate the position lights it still powers the brakes so I just live the lights ON when I live it runing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle