Brake controller working intermittently

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it has something to do with certain controllers. To my knowledge when I use my hazards mine does fine. I haven't tried it with since I rewired though.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well I got all the wires done, the hazzard still activates the brakes but the system is fine I believe. I'll have to do like you guys said and do a separate wire for the hazzard so it won't power the brakes.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EZ, the hazard light problem is a common one. The Moose Truck does this also. I think the easy fix is an on/off switch in line to the brake light lead on the brake controller. Kinda like a brake controller deactivation switch. Only thing is you would have to remember to turn the switch back on when you need the brakes to work.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Why not just hook the brake controller activation lead to the brake on-off switch that is connected to the brake petal?

mndorf

Reaction score
I just found out my truck and trailer do the same thing, hazards pulse the brakes. A mechanic said use a diode or a separate four way flasher but he didn't explain further.

I posted this question recently on tds. Some people claim this is old knowledge but most people I talk to have never heard of it.

The trouble with a switch deactivator is you couldn't use your trailer brakes and flashers at the same time going down a steep hill.

Good luck and I'll be looking for the solution. I'm on the road to Davenport IA now and will just have to not use flashers while moving.

Bruce, 1987 f 350 dually cab/chassis, 6.9, 4 spd, 4.11 rears

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mndorf said:
The trouble with a switch deactivator is you couldn't use your trailer brakes and flashers at the same time going down a steep hill.

Well, if you put your foot on the brake, then you don't have flashers anymore either, so I don't see that being an issue. If nothing else, you could turn the switch on and the trailer would gently tug you with every flash. LOL

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well after 1/2 hour they answered my question, it is a diode that will let the electricity go only one way, you connect it to the sensor on the brake pedal and when you turn the hazard lights ON it will back feed the power to the lights and not to the brakes. Now for this thing to work properly the brake controller must the connected to thge brake sensor for this whole thing to work wich I think it is. Any way, maybe I'll give that a try if noone comes with a home made version :Sly .

Thank you for the link.

lgettler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My hookup was as posted in the chart above but my brakes would pulse with the 4 way flashers so I had to put a big diode in the circuit but I cannot find the diagram where the diode goes, I think in the wire hooked to the brake light which stops the feedback from the the 4 Ways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin