Brake controller working intermittently

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I need to tow the trailer this monday and it does not activate the brakes every time wich makes it not good for pulling 18k lbs.

Here is what I have seen,

-The brake controller is a prodigy and it reads not to connect the ground (white) to the dash but only to the battery ground or brake controller will work intermittently.

The controller is connected:

Blue to Blue
Black to Red
Red to green
White to White

but the tag on the wires reads

Black to Red
Red to white
White to dark blue
Blue to brown (I do not have bonw here, the only one left is green)

What is wrong here guys?

I need to tow my trailer so I appreciate your help.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I am guessing that you need to see what wires do what, both on your truck and on your controller, then adjust as necessary. I never relied on color coding such stuff as it never worked out. I use a meter and test light and determine what is what. You should just need power, ground, brake light and possibly reverse light (to NOT apply brakes when backing) but I don't have a Prodigy, so they may be different. I am guessing that the controller has something that says "hook blue wire to____, hook black wire to ______" and I would go by that, not the color code. From what I hear, that is a great ramp up controller, but since Travis told me about the Jordan, I don't have anything else.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
This is what I need, some one with a truck my year (maybe) go under the dash and see how where the 4 wires from the controller connect to the harness under the dash what color are they and wich color are they connected to.

Thank you.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Thank you John, I could not find a link like that one, I even read a previous post about wiring the BC and still could not tell what was what. Will try this now.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EZ, I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to play with this at the rally. Taking the transport for a test tow would have been a good idea. I still think you need to rule the trailer out as a source of the problem.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Mel. Hook up to a different trailer and see if it does the same thing. If it does then its the controller if not then its the trailer.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well, I hook it to another trailer b4 and I know it is the controller connections. I had to modity the connections on my bumper since there was no power to the trailer battery and the one for the battery was for the ebrakes. I will also check on the trailer connections to make it compatible with mine wich is the same as the one on the link John (compudoc) posted. I have power to all the tips on the 6 way connector on the bumper now but when I put the hazard lights ON it will give power to the brakes too, I haven't find a way to separate that yet.

Thank you.

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exekiel69 said:
This is what I need, some one with a truck my year (maybe) go under the dash and see how where the 4 wires from the controller connect to the harness under the dash what color are they and wich color are they connected to.

Thank you.
OK You asked, but I don't know how much help this will be.

Mines a 93 also... controller is a brake force.

Red to red
White to a splitter that had white going one way and black going the other. I'll ask BJ about that one when he wakes up.
Black went to a red also, but it was a lighter pinker colored red.
Blue to a yellowish brown

The white one that came off the splitter went to another plug for the old controller I am assuming, it had a green wire but I didn't see a green one in any of the stuff thats hooked to it now.

Like I said- probably not much help, but you asked!

BTW- whats your email address so I can email you these pics individualy :)

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Thank You Tanya I'll appreciate if you take a look. I have it working now but I still can't keep it from braking when I activate the hazard lights, I guess I'll have to follow the wires there too.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
sle2115 said:
Sounds like it is connected to the common bright tailamp wire, Brake lights and hazard lights use the same filament of the bulb (bright filament) in many vehicles. Does it activate with either turn signal? They use this same circuit.

No, it only happens with the hazard lights and once it does the brakes wont work well anymore.

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EZ- ( from BJ)

The brake lights are part of the hazzard system. I checked with Ford and there is no way to avoid this problem without totaly rewiring the harness, and seperating the hazzrads from the brake lights. ( from me) As I told you in PM, my trailer does this as well. If you put the hazzards on, the brakes lock up when they flash and release when they don't.

Sorry thats probably not what you wanted to hear! :\

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Exekiel69 said:
No, it only happens with the hazard lights and once it does the brakes wont work well anymore.

Strange! Probably doesn't like the pulse of the hazard lights. Sounds like finding how Tanya's is wired might be your best bet. I always pulled power right from the brake light switch and the hazard lights don't run through it. Good luck.

(on edit) Sounds like you have an answer! But I would still check the brake light switch for a wire that comes on with the depression of the brake pedal and forget about the factory harness. Somewhere, I would think there is a wire not affected by the hazard lights, but powered on only to activate the brakes. Again, good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online