bought a turbo kit, have a few questions

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
Finally got the nuts started now can't get a wrench in there to tighten them. Taking a smoke break then gonna try again. Any tips?

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Patients lol. I lack it pretty bad.

I put everything I could on already bolted together but loose. Then tightened it when it was all lined up.

Squeaky_Wheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not familiar with ats turbo but I know when installing my banks turbo it helped to gain access from inside the cab by removing the transmission tunnel pan.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I quote from the May 2011 issue of Diesel World Magazine.

"Special care is needed to preserve the turbo on that first startup. The little bit of oil you applied on assembly isn't enough for operation, even for a short time at idle. The best procedure is to leave the oil line off to prevent the engine from starting, but crank it over until you get oil from the line. Then, hook up the oil line and crank the engine in 15-second increments three times giving the starter time to cool down in between. That ensures that the unit has received a good amount of oil. At the least, use an oil gun to pump a good amount of motor oil in through the oil inlet before you start."

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
Install complete! Now have to fix the fuel leak at the number 7 injector and find something to protect the engine harness from the heat with.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet. I just moved the wiring a bit. Haven't had any burnt wires in the last couple months of heavy use.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
It's almost touching the heat sheild but not quite. I did unbolt it it from the intake tho.

Bob87

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
93f250idi,

Awesome job on the install. Its been about a month since you've finished it. How's it running? Any updates/tips from the install? Notice a big difference? You did install it with the engine in the truck, right? Would you do it again that way?