Bought a crew cab

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The smallest 80-96 bed youve ever seen :D
You must be registered for see images attach

The center of the bedside is slightly pulled in, but i adjusted it so it lines up with the cab perfectly now

Gonna take it to work either tomorro night, or wed night. That way i can use the mig welder;Sweet.... i dont think pop rivets are gonna hold this thing togetherLOL

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive been wanting to do that with my trk for a while now, dammit you beat me too it. and the color of the cab is royal blue pearl metallic, well thats what they call it in 96.

MeanGreen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More updates PLEASE! When you shortened the bed, did you section the side and then butt the original front corner back up to the cut, or did you actually do hammer and dolly work to form a new corner around the front bulk head?
And just one question, I thought you mentioned at one time about running some fender flares. If you do, will you have enough room for the front end of the rear flare to not hang past the body?
Keep it up, this is gonna look awesome when done!!!
Jerry

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More updates PLEASE! When you shortened the bed, did you section the side and then butt the original front corner back up to the cut, or did you actually do hammer and dolly work to form a new corner around the front bulk head?
And just one question, I thought you mentioned at one time about running some fender flares. If you do, will you have enough room for the front end of the rear flare to not hang past the body?
Keep it up, this is gonna look awesome when done!!!
Jerry

i havent got much done lately, been beat after work so im kinda waiting for the weekends. Good news is im taking a half day tomorro and going up to chicago to get new fenders, core support, and a tailgate shell

When i shortened the bed i cut the bulkhead off, then reweld the floor to the bulkhead (with an arc welder)LOL From there i "wrapped" the bedside around the bulkhead. I did this by cutting some slits in the back side with an angle grinder. Then i made a sheetmetal bender of sorts out of a pair of vice-grips and a peice of flatbar and a 1in od peice of pipe that i cut in half. I used it to pull the metal around the bulkhead of the bed. Then hammered and dollied it into place. Then pop riveted it together. THen yesterday i took it to work and used the mig welder to finish it up.

And the flares i have are a set of bushwackers that i got used. There not gona fit perfectly, gonna have to get back on that:thumbsup:

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hit my first roadblock so far. Friday me and a buddy both took off work early to head up to Chicago to get new fenders, inner fenders, tailgate, core support, grill, hood and some other misc stuff. We were makin awesome time until we hit a spot on I-80 where there was a 3 semi accident. We must have missed being in the accident by only a couple mins. One semi was compelty ripped in half, you could see the drivers seat from the passanger side, becouse there was no passanger side. 2 of the trailers were almost broke in half... Both lanes on our side were closed, and the left lane on the other side was closed. It was pretty bad. Long story short we made it there at 6:15 and they closed at 5. We knew we werent ghonna make it but figured we might as well just see where its at.... Worst part is we sat in traffic for an hour and a half. Needless to say we didnt get any parts. We both took monday morning off (we work at the same place and there isnt much to do tomoro) So were taking off at 430, that way we can get there right when they open with an hour extra for chitty chicago traffic.

As for today I spent the day with a gallon of herculiner. The plan is to clear the herculiner becouse it will fade pretty bad. So after paint im just gonna clear the whole thing...

I also herculined all of my fender flares, they will cover up the rust in case you were wonderingLOL but i forgot to take a picture of them

pics yo

First coat

2nd coat

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
make sure u put it on thick i put it on my '93 ranger (2 coats) and within a year it was seethrough and came off easy. i scuffed and prepped the bed as per instructions. and the project looks good. no idea where you find the time to not do one, but 2 cab swaps!! cookoo

-Jon

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just some random pics becouse i brought my camera w me to the shop after work...

New Core & inner fenders... and herc'd front bumper

Flares

My cheap chinese partsLOL

Bling bling (as the rappers say):rotflmao

MeanGreen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
herculiner advice

Hey, don't clear coat the Herc. Herculiner makes a black waterbased topcoat that will stay black. I used it on my nerf bars. Go to their website, it's there. I ordered it from Carquest though. The clearcoat will probably adhere, but the stuff from Herc is easy to apply and lasts. I was really surprised by its durabilty.
Just a thought.
Jerry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online