Boost question

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why is it that when I run petro diesel verse my homemade bio from used vegge oil I can obtain boost faster from my bio than regular diesel fuel.

I got to noticing it the other day, normaly I "can't" get 8psi of boost running empty, stomp on it and get about 6 before I have to change gears, running bio I can do the same and get 8 before changing gears. :dunno :dunno

I thought man I am just seeing things, so I put in just plain diesel in the front tank and bio only in the rear, did some test, sure nuff, I get faster boost with bio??? :hail

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son compared diesel versus bio for his school science fair project this year. He found diesel burned hotter, but for a shorter time, while Bio did not burn as hot, but burned longer. He did his tests outside of an engine, but we speculated that in an engine with a turbo, that the Bio might outperform.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My son compared diesel versus bio for his school science fair project this year. He found diesel burned hotter, but for a shorter time, while Bio did not burn as hot, but burned longer. He did his tests outside of an engine, but we speculated that in an engine with a turbo, that the Bio might outperform.

That is a pretty good description of the higher cetane rating of bio....

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I know all the lab tests say that straight diesel is supposed to have more power to it, but I've always noticed that straight veg or bio diesel give the things more kick, in my truck and my diesel cars.

-----------Robert

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know all the lab tests say that straight diesel is supposed to have more power to it, but I've always noticed that straight veg or bio diesel give the things more kick, in my truck and my diesel cars.
Dino has about a 10% higher BTU value than Bio - which means more energy per gallon - but the Bio has a higher cetane value.

As I understand it, the higher cetane value and the slower burn that results from it, means that more of the energy can be converted to work - instead of being wasted in a big flash of energy - a lot of which goes out the exhaust pipe.....

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
So in other words, all the propaganda from the petrolium industry saying that veg based fuel won't run as good, is a bunch of hooy. I knew I should trust the seat of my pants :rotflmao

----------Robert

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So in other words, all the propaganda from the petrolium industry saying that veg based fuel won't run as good, is a bunch of hooy. I knew I should trust the seat of my pants :rotflmao

----------Robert
only downside I've ever found running bio long term is the hoses need to be replaced sooner and the mech working on the feul systems will smell like french fry oil for days-cuss:mad:-cuss

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online