boost and head studs?

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put an intercooler on my setup using parts from ebay. Man I love ebay!! But anyway I got 3" intercooler piping for $125, and the huge intercooler for $125. Its pretty cheap and looks decent. You can go that route or buy a setup. Now I just need to put on my water/methanol setup and I'll be good to go. Do both in my opinion you'll get even more power!!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
uhmmmm....what would studding those help? :confused:

and with studded heads what's a "safe" boost range to run for, oh lets say.....300 feet? LOL

-Jon

Studding those keeps the boost in. Dave Spanugul (I butchered his last name) is running an IDI at like 25psi, lowered compression. Basically with the bolts, the intake manifold started leaking boost, so he used studs to keep it together.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I disagree that he needs to lower the compression. I'm not positive but I believe Flatlander still has a 20 something to 1 compression ratio. Stock isn't it like 20.5-21.5 or whatever. But anyway that's not a huge reduction on his compression ratio. You know what I mean. And even if he dropped the compression ratio down to say 19:1 it wouldn't make that much difference in my opinion because I have heard that for each point in compression you take off you can add 2 psi of boost. That's not that much if you only drop it down 1 point and if you drop it down 2 points it starts to get harder to start. Idk just my opinion and someone else can weigh in.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I disagree that he needs to lower the compression. I'm not positive but I believe Flatlander still has a 20 something to 1 compression ratio. Stock isn't it like 20.5-21.5 or whatever. But anyway that's not a huge reduction on his compression ratio. You know what I mean. And even if he dropped the compression ratio down to say 19:1 it wouldn't make that much difference in my opinion because I have heard that for each point in compression you take off you can add 2 psi of boost. That's not that much if you only drop it down 1 point and if you drop it down 2 points it starts to get harder to start. Idk just my opinion and someone else can weigh in.

You could be right ;Sweet. I just like the peace of mind knowing that the CR has been dropped some so it should be safe. If its Ok to run 15psi studded, then if I see 20psi with a studded and lower CR motor, than I would feel better than if its just studded.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya that's good reasoning and I see your point. But I think its possible without trouble but it probably is safer that way. But I'm gonna try it eventually to see what the threshhold of the motor is cus at this point I really don't want to tear into my motor. It'll be fun to experiment!!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flatlander's factory headbolts gave up the gasket at 18PSI on his first or second run with the Moose Pump. At 17, your on the hairy edge. Temperature and time may be all it takes to move that edge down to where you are.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
dave s is running 28 psi of boost on a 6.9, with 40 thousands off the pistons gives a compression ratio of 20.25:1, he has head studs intake studs and exaust studs, copper coated intake and exaust gaskets and copper coated gasket between the manifolds and turbo, a single wastegated ats 093 turbo, all up pipes double rapped in header rap and soked in ceramic high heat paint, he has lots of power and not very good fuel milage.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dave s is running 28 psi of boost on a 6.9,.............. a single wastegated ats 093 turbo.

That's still doesn't add up in my bookcookoo.....but, whatever, I know Dave is a cult hero on FTE. Maybe he isn't full of it, I really hope he's not.:dunno

Crash, you are asking for trouble at 17psi! It is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when you will have a headgasket or other failure. You need stud's and an intercooler. What are your EGT's doing at that PSI?

Heath

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
dave can max egts at 1250 degrees if he trys, you dont have to belive any thing any one tells you but thats your opinion. the head gaskets hold up cause the pistons were milled 40 thousands that dropped the factory compression of the 6.9 from 22.5:1 down to 20.25: then it has felpro head gasket arp head studs, copper coatting on intake and exaust gaskets, and header rap on all the pipes to the turbo to hold the heat in them more heat in the pipes = more boost, has a turbo ip built to his specs(moddified) and stage1 injectors. so i dont see wat dont add up to you?:confused:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dave can max egts at 1250 degrees if he trys, you dont have to belive any thing any one tells you but thats your opinion. the head gaskets hold up cause the pistons were milled 40 thousands that dropped the factory compression of the 6.9 from 22.5:1 down to 20.25: then it has felpro head gasket arp head studs, copper coatting on intake and exaust gaskets, and header rap on all the pipes to the turbo to hold the heat in them more heat in the pipes = more boost, has a turbo ip built to his specs(moddified) and stage1 injectors. so i dont see wat dont add up to you?:confused:

Here we go with this again:rolleyes:........ I should have known.LOL

Dude...tons of guys have modified IP's and Stage 1's and disabled wastegates.........and no one else is making the same numbers.......not even close! Barney has twins on his 6.9 and he's having issues breaking 20 psi. Header wrap is not his big secret either. I don't want to argue this point AGAIN........it's be hashed out many times over in lots of other posts.........let's just agree to disagree.......you believe Dave S and I don't. Let's leave it at that.

Heath

Hallworth

Take Off! You Hoser
Reaction score
I'm not Trying to stir the pot here, but 28psi of boost at a 20.25 CR the math doesn't add up. That motor would run, to a point, but that motor would not handle the heat of such a high compression ratio and high boost. I don't care about the gaskets or the head bolts. The internal parts would fail. Your typical stock turbo 5.9 Cummins runs a CR of 16.3:1 with a max boost of 20.8 psi.

sootman73

Reaction score
I'm not Trying to stir the pot here, but 28psi of boost at a 20.25 CR the math doesn't add up. That motor would run, to a point, but that motor would not handle the heat of such a high compression ratio and high boost. I don't care about the gaskets or the head bolts. The internal parts would fail. Your typical stock turbo 5.9 Cummins runs a CR of 16.3:1 with a max boost of 20.8 psi.

20.8? i dont believe that. you can run up to 50psi on stock cummins internals with stock bolts without blowing a head gasket... its the idi part that changes everything between ours and new diesels...

also the psd, duramax, and cummins are much more turbo dependent for power than an idi. an idi has engine grunt rather than enhanced power from boost. its the CR why we can make similar power to a powerstroke with running half the boost.

Hallworth

Take Off! You Hoser
Reaction score
I'm not saying thats not the truth. The key word in there is stock(it says stock in there). Those are the numbers from cummins on an 01 5.9L (STOCK). It was just simple comparison between what motor built for a turbo and one built for no turbo.

sootman73

Reaction score
I'm not saying thats not the truth. The key word in there is stock(it says stock in there). Those are the numbers from cummins on an 01 5.9L (STOCK). It was just simple comparison between what motor built for a turbo and one built for no turbo.

i was confused when you said max boost:confused:. did you mean at factory settings?:dunno if so sorry. that would make sense.

Hallworth

Take Off! You Hoser
Reaction score
Yup thats all stock factory settings for a 2001 to 2002 Auto. The 01 to 02 HO with the six speed makes 10 more hp and 45 more ft lbs of torque At 26 psi max.