BODY WORK ON THE IDI

I-HFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
since i got a little bit of money i thought i would give the old truck an upgrade , i think ill have her ready to paint in a couple weeks. im just taking my time and trying to do it right, but anyways im painting it with gloss white tractor enamel. these pictures are of the right bed side which was pretty messed up when i got the truck , but its slowly getting better.1st- picture my dad grinding on bed , 2nd picture-i put bondo where there was a dent, 3rd picture my buddy working all the rust off of bed and i threw a coat of primer where bondo was to see what else needs to be done. feel free to comment on my progress, ideas welcome.

Attachments

• 0903101604a.jpg
    0903101604a.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 0903101644a.jpg
    0903101644a.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 0903102131a.jpg
    0903102131a.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

ahawks9er

Reaction score
Anxious to see how your pick up turns out. These 'old' trucks look so sharp with a fresh coat of paint and straight sheet metal. I've got to undertake that project myself...

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
put a super light coat of paint just a dusting of black over the grey primer then sand with a large flex board
youll see all the low spots
and another tip the finish with paint is in the prep if its perfect before itll be perfect after paint
so if you take a florecent light and move it over it also helps to see low spots use the reflection to see if it looks straight or an even curve
wish i could do this to mine but cant afford down time lol

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you self etching primer if you were down to bare metel its what supposed to use

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
put a super light coat of paint just a dusting of black over the grey primer then sand with a large flex board
youll see all the low spots
and another tip the finish with paint is in the prep if its perfect before itll be perfect after paint
so if you take a florecent light and move it over it also helps to see low spots use the reflection to see if it looks straight or an even curve
wish i could do this to mine but cant afford down time lol

^^^what he said^^ that will show the minor flaws.

For the large spots, close your eyes and feel the panel w your hand. You would be surprised what you feel and will not see

Body filler is not designed to be over 1/8" thick so hammer out or pull out the best you can before putting on filler. I would hate to see all the work you've done crack and fall out in a year because the filler was too thick. Body filler is not a rust fixer either. You have to cut it out or sandblast it till it is gone, otherwise it will be back in no time

Also. Remove any trim, door handles, locks, windows, emblems, cab lights, tail lights, grill felt molding, ANYTHING that you would tape around. It makes for a much nice job

Last edited:

Zrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i did my boxsides i used a ruller as a strait edge to make sure everything was level. Worked pretty good. even when i thought it felt and looked good i still found low spots with the ruller

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
O yeah. one more thing. When you are stripping panels like that, keep moving. If you work in one area too long it will get hot and warp the panel

I-HFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah thats what i did do , it coming along great i fixing to put up some more pictures

I-HFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
another picture

one more layer of bondo,i sprayed some rust enamel on it, cause i drive it everyday,it needs little more sanding though, i got to get some spot puddy. but its looking pretty good ,tell me what u guys think.;Sweet

Attachments

• 0907101449a.jpg
    0907101449a.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 0909101612a.jpg
    0909101612a.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 43