Body Mount Bushings

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys-

I finally got around to installing some camper tie-downs for my slide-in, and noticed that the cab and the bed aren't aligned all that well anymore. It seems that the passenger side of the cab has "sagged", as the body lines are off by about 3/4".

I've done some searching and found that this can be caused by faulty body mount bushings. I poked around under the truck, and mine are still in there, but that's about all I could tell in the driveway. Summit Racing has a set of Polyurethane bushings from Energy Suspension for $60, and I haven't priced a set from Ford yet. I'm usually a die-hard factory parts guy, but this might be an exception for me.

Your input is appreciated!
Ryan

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
reklund said:
I've done some searching and found that this can be caused by faulty body mount bushings. I poked around under the truck, and mine are still in there, but that's about all I could tell in the driveway. Summit Racing has a set of Polyurethane bushings from Energy Suspension for $60, and I haven't priced a set from Ford yet. I'm usually a die-hard factory parts guy, but this might be an exception for me.

Your input is appreciated!
Ryan

Yep that is a very good culprit Ryan.
While redoing Golide, Mine was off over an inch an one side.
With the weight of these big cabs, it doesn't take much to finish the factory body bushings off. :puke:
Ya picked a good set of replacements there as that is what I opted for as replacements on Goldie. ;Sweet
Just get a good long sawzall blade for metal cutting as ya prolly wont be able to get them spun apart when taking the bolts out as there is a shaft inside the bushing that has a good tendancy to rust up making things difficult at taking them apart. -cuss -cuss
Just experienced that yesterday. :Sly
So get them bushing ordered and get em in and that should solve your cab alingment issues.

Good luck. ;Sweet

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Energy suspension stuff is way better than factory. I just did leaf and axle pivot bushings and made a big difference.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just replaced all mine, body mounts all spring bushings and am going to see how it rides. 300 k took its toll on all the rubber. Get a big axle nut socket and slip it over the front cab mount and screw a bolt into it and it will pull the mount right apart. the rear ones are a bit harder as previously mentioned. I plugged the hole in the bottom of the mount with the bolts and filled the hole up with pb blaster and it made quite a difference in pulling the mounts apart, good luck ;Sweet

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's entailed in replacing the mounts? I haven't dug my service manual out of the garage to look yet. My truck has been in New Mexico it's whole life, so I don't suspect too much of a problem with rust...

Ryan

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
reklund said:
What's entailed in replacing the mounts? I haven't dug my service manual out of the garage to look yet. My truck has been in New Mexico it's whole life, so I don't suspect too much of a problem with rust...

Ryan

Ryan

This is working out really good. You're doing all the things that I've been planning for awhile. Now that I have one less vehicle to maintain, I may actually get time to do them.

Tom

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Ford bushings will probably give a smoother ride, but I went with Energy Suspension ones for the Bronco and have no complaints.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom-

Maybe I should just wise up and get a new truck like you did... Constantly working on the IDI is getting expensive...

Ryan

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a set of Poly bushings from Summit today. Should see 'em in time for an install next Saturday. Stay Tuned.

Ryan

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
reklund said:
Tom-

Maybe I should just wise up and get a new truck like you did... Constantly working on the IDI is getting expensive...

Ryan

Not as expensive as a truck payment! :rotflmao :rotflmao . Determining factor for me was time spent wrenching. Don't you get enough of that at work? cookoo

Tom

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the truth. Keeping what you have is always cheaper than going new, and you own it, not the bank. The conundrum though can be time. Sometimes you have to decide if you are willing to buy time, and you can purchase time, by getting something you don't have to work on. Time sure is expensive though, and every second you buy, is spent on something else, and you can't get it back.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Sometimes there really is more money than time though...... It's just a shame because there's not enough of either.

I had my IDI redone with energy suspension cab mounts and all axle parts, and it was great. I found a shop to do all this for $200 labor, so I ran the other way very fast and let him do it.

My body mounts were over two inches off.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got home from work, where I was able to sneak the truck into the shop and install the bushings. The bushings went in relatively easily, and I'm happy to report that they have cured my mis-alignment problem. IM TERRIBLY ANGRY TO REPORT DAMAGE!!!!!!!

I used the lift to raise the cab to install the new bushings. While raising the passenger side of the cab, the drivers door swung open (due to the tilting of the cab) and swung into the lift arm. Unknowingly, I continued to raise the lift to gain access to remove the bushings, and crunched the bottom edge of the door with the lift arm.

I'm sick to my stomach I'm so upset. My truck was pretty much pristine, and now theres this big 'ol crease in the bottom of the drivers side door! I've already got an appointment with the body shop tomorrow, so hopefully they'll be able to straighten it out without a new door skin....

Some days you get the elevator, other days you get the shaft. I got the shaft today...

Ryan

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Ouch....

The cab flex really screws with the doors on these trucks. Before i did mine, I could barely shut the doors, they were so low. Now, they're too high. Good luck with your door, I'm sure it'll work out OK. Doors are cheap anyway.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a ******. Reminds me of my first motor swap in 1978. I was so excited I backed out of the garage without opening the door all the way, and ripped my passenger side mirror off.