Body lifts.... whats the deal

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, Looking a body lift kits for my turbo install. All the kits I see for F350 have a disclaimer...NOT FOR TRUCKS WITH DIESEL ENGINE... any reason you all know of??? Now I know why Russ just got some stock and cut his own

jim

7.3shrk

Most of the body lifts I have seen are made out of nylon, and are not solid - but it is not holding up any weight of the engine - just a guess, but maybe a vibration issue? Either way, you would probably be better to make some.

supervert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probably because theres no way to drop the radiator. so if you have a electric one it would work.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason they say this is not for any of those reasons mentioned so far. What is is is this... the rear of the drivers side head will hit the firewall. That's it. Now, with a 2" lift, it's not really an issue. You might get vibration on a hard deceleration. With a 4" lift, I don't think you could do it without bending or cutting out the firewall. 2 of my trucks have a 2" body lift, and I didn't have to do anyting to either one to make it work. All you have to do outside of just installing the kit, is trim the bottom of the fan shroud. I used energy suspension body mount bushings on both, so take that into consideration.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probably because theres no way to drop the radiator. so if you have a electric one it would work.
and how would this differ from a gasser??? I don't buy that one. Every truck has that problem... when you run small lift such as 1" you don't have that problem on our trucks

Ok Mel, now that sounds feesable... I was told to get a 1" body lift to add room for the turbo install... I really didnt like the idea of cutting out some sound material from the firewall. I hope this helps to give enough room for that.. maybe 2" is the ticket

Last edited:

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jimraelee, the gasser engine isn't as tight against the firewall as the IDI is.

Thank you for bringing that up, Mel. I'd read that before, but it never clicked. I think I now know why I sometimes get this weird vibration when decelerating hard around a corner with the load behind me trying to push the truck a little bit. That had me stumped because it was so infrequent and only happens when conditions are just right. Gonna' have to take a look at that firewall and maybe give it a little "lovin" - with a crowbar!

I did a partial body lift on mine with hockey pucks. I took 5 pucks and drilled a half inch hole in the center of each of them. Then I sawed one of them into two half-height pucks on my bandsaw. I installed a single puck in each of the mounts at the front of the doors, and a puck-and-a-half in each of the mounts in the front end. I didn't install anything in the mounts at the back of the cab or the bed. Even though I raised the nose an inch and a half, I didn't have to do anything to my fan shroud - the fan still clears it just fine.

You'd think it would be noticeable that the cab is tilted slightly "uphill", but since the bed & cab body lines still line up, you can't tell at all unless you get real close and look straight down the body line the whole length of the truck - and even then it is subtle enough that you can't be sure your eyes aren't playing tricks on you. Basically you have to know what you are looking for - and then look really hard for it to see it at all.

The only reason I installed anything was to get a little more working clearance between the bellhousing/turbo pipes and the tranny tunnel when I did my ZF-5 conversion last summer. I actually unbolted those 4 mounts and jacked the cab up a little in order to do the swap, then only decided to make it permanent when I got ready to bolt it all back down.

Anyway, the hocky pucks are tougher than any rubber mounts you're going to find and almost as tough as poly mounts. Each one adds almost exactly 1" of lift (they are like 15/16" thick). A bag of a dozen cost me $10 at a local Big 5 sporting goods, and the only other thing you need is to buy longer bolts to replace some[/b[ of the existing body mounting bolts - and you don't even have to replace all of them. IIRC the cab mount bolts at the back and at the doors are long enough to be re-used in the front, and on the bed. Just make sure you get good quality bolts - at least grade 5, though grade 8 is even better.

One last thing learned from the Jeepin' world. I usually caution people against anything more than 2" of body lift. The problem is that as the lift gets higher, and the bolts get longer, there is more leverage on the ends of the bolts where they attach to the cab and to the frame. In an accident where the frame hits something immoveable (think big rock or oak tree) and the cab tries to keep moving forward (momentum) that additional leverage can either snap the bolts or pull the heads of the bolts right through the mounts. That leads to a body-frame separation which can do a LOT more damage to your truck, and ususally isn't very good for the occupants either.

Last edited:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like AGNEM said, engine clearance to fire-wall issues.

I put a 3-inch under mine and the old 6.9 vibrated hard against the fire-wall.

I cut the blocks down to two-inch and it worked perfect.

The Cummins doesn't even come close.

With a turbo on the IDI, a body-lift is almost a must.

evictorwalli

Reaction score
I had the same problem...looking for a body lift to allow clearance for a banks turbo. Only one I could find was from JCWhitney (2") it works with both gassers and diesels, or so they say.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made 1 inch blocks and used new Energy Suspension mounts, love it.

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so it is easier to work on with a 2" body lift? In order to get to my cousins turbo we had to go inside the cab and take off that plate on top of the tranny to reach the bolts. If he had a 2" body lift that would be simpler. I also hear alot of people 'putting down' body lifts because they hurt the truck or something stupid like that.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so it is easier to work on with a 2" body lift? In order to get to my cousins turbo we had to go inside the cab and take off that plate on top of the tranny to reach the bolts. If he had a 2" body lift that would be simpler.

Oh, YEAH, lots easier. I don't think I could have ever got the ZF in if I hadn't jacked up the body - and mine is only lifted just a little over an inch at the point where the turbo pipes cross the bellhousing. But that inch makes a huge difference!

I also hear alot of people 'putting down' body lifts because they hurt the truck or something stupid like that.
Hurt it?!? Hurt what, its feelings!?! LOL
If all the little issues are addressed, then it can't "hurt" anything - unless you do too much of a lift and have an accident like I described earlier. In that case it will hurt it - a lot. If the body separates from the frame it hurts just about everything you can think of - steering, electrical system, sheetmetal, braking system, fuel system, engine - pretty much the whole ball o' wax...

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 3" body lift on my 01 F150 as well as a 6" suspension lift. I have never had any problems with any of it.

rubberfish

Reaction score
I had a 3" lift on my last truck, a '97 GMC with
a 6.5 in it. That kit also said "no diesels". :dunno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7