blue smoke

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I can see a very light blueish smoke when I stop some times not always but You can tell when it does, what causes this?
I changed fuel filters and air filter not long ago.

Thank You.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I think we need a little more info...... Is this while it is setting and idleing or on accelration? Warm or Cold? How many miles on the filters? Etc.... Please be l little more descriptive.....

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I only see it when the engine is idling at a stop, the engine is warm and the filters (2) where changed about 1k miles ago but I got the wix version of the motorcraft water separator one so I bought the one from ford but I didn't replace it yet.

Razorbackfan

Reaction score
Could be uneven fueling. I had that when a couple of injectors started going out and when they were replaced it went away. If you have a programmer try changing the settings or taking it out to see if that changes things.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well last time after some hard acceleration for just a few seconds it went limp and started t blow black smoke and would not engage well in gear nor accelerated but still smoked black then just like that it became normal it was just a few seconds. :dunno

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well last time after some hard acceleration for just a few seconds it went limp and started t blow black smoke and would not engage well in gear nor accelerated but still smoked black then just like that it became normal it was just a few seconds. :dunno
That sounds like the turbo vanes sticking.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well I thought it was air too. What do You mean by vanes sticking I'm not familiar with that You mean the turbine itself?

I also hear some time when I let go of the go pedal no matter the speed a glick click glick click glick not too loud but I hear it, is it possible this is related to the turbo sticking?

Thank You.

94iditurbo

Reaction score
yes the black smoke and noise you described would be related to the turbo vanes sticking. the turbo on this engine is a vgt turbo (varible geometry turbo) it uses a solenoid to controls vanes witch allow exhaust air to control compression side of turbo. your discription sound like the unison ring which directly controls the vanes is either rusted or siezed to housing do to coking deposits. you can remove the turbo, disassemble, and clean with carb cleaner and 3M roll locks. or you could replace turbo as assembly

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Just an update, I took the truck for service to the ford dealer since it is still under warranty and they replaced the egr valve must have been it bc it has not done it again. Even on My way to the shop it got stuck again but now it is all good. Even the glick glick glick glick noise is gone but I thought that was an exhaust leak.

Thank You all.