Blue Loc-Tite on fan bolts and clutch bolt threads too?

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally getting around to replacing my fan clutch that was going out. Very simple job really, with one question though. I read that the "fan" itself should be blue loc-tited to the clutch, does the clutch need blue loc-tite also on it's threads?

Thanks Eric

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blue Loc-Tite should be used on those bolts, only a drop will do. To remove bolt after, a little heat on the head is needed if they are hard to back out.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BLUE locktite usually does NOT require heat...but may require heat. RED however can and usually does require heat..

and yes, locktite fan to clutch, and clutch to water pump, and on wp use a couple three drops really, and ensure that those bolts and bolt holes are all super clean and free of oil unless you have the more oil tollerant type of blue locktite.

JM2CW

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Personally I use the blue only on the large nut threads and nothing on the fan to clutch bolts. But being safe is better than wondering too. Red loctite surely will require heat to remove. I recall a red 277 has a shear strength of 4000 lbs and is used for studs larger than 1 inch. A red 272 will break off a 9/16 stud is 300 degrees of heat is not applied before you try to loosen a nut or bolt.