blow off valve

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not unless you were running some sort of really exotic custom built turbo setup.... and even then, on a diesel I dont think its necessary as there is no throtle plate to load up.

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actualy a blow of valve has an aplication on a diesel if you are bossting high above stock when you let off the throtle the decreace in exaust flow causes the turbow to slow, obviously, a bit and and can cause the impeller blated to shuter over time causing them to come apart. the blow off valve stops this by venting the boost alowing the impeller to slow more easily to mach the exaust flow. Don't think it would be usefull on our trucks but never boosted one high. We put a tunner on my buddies dads stroke and were testing it out and on the highest setting the screen would go black on hard excell and the turbo would make a chugging sound on decell we figured it was bad and clicked down a power level, later we found out that the sound was turbo shutter and that that if you payed close attention the screen was telling you you were over the boost limit then going black to get your attention.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My thinking was along the lines of george's...I could see some benefits to it in a high boost diesel app where overboost/turbo stall could be a concern, but not for what 99.9% of what we do in the IDI world

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basicly aslong as the turbo isn't shuttering its a waste and can only cause plumes of black smoke as you will lose all boost when you let off the throtle instantly so if you get back on it or are shifting you have to build all boost again of couresw with the low boost most of us are running all boost is probly lost when shifting a manuel but IDK

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basicly aslong as the turbo isn't shuttering its a waste and can only cause plumes of black smoke as you will lose all boost when you let off the throtle instantly so if you get back on it or are shifting you have to build all boost again of couresw with the low boost most of us are running all boost is probly lost when shifting a manuel but IDK

All the black smoke might make people do it just to smoke more LOL

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, i need someone to explain how a blow off valve works without a throttle plate? on a gasser, when the throttle plate is shut it creates the vacuum to open the blow off valve, which in turn dumps all the boosted air away from the throttle body.
so is the vacuum system opening up the blow off valve on the diesel or what?

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actualy a blow of valve has an aplication on a diesel if you are bossting high above stock when you let off the throtle the decreace in exaust flow causes the turbow to slow, obviously, a bit and and can cause the impeller blated to shuter over time causing them to come apart. the blow off valve stops this by venting the boost alowing the impeller to slow more easily to mach the exaust flow. Don't think it would be usefull on our trucks but never boosted one high. We put a tunner on my buddies dads stroke and were testing it out and on the highest setting the screen would go black on hard excell and the turbo would make a chugging sound on decell we figured it was bad and clicked down a power level, later we found out that the sound was turbo shutter and that that if you payed close attention the screen was telling you you were over the boost limit then going black to get your attention.

on a blow off valve system it blows out the air all at once, which whouldnt help match the wastegate and i have heard what your talking about and that is usually caused by a wastegate going bad or sticking

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/bd-diesel/turbo-guard.htm that explains how it works basicly uses the electrical signal from the AP to contoll it.

And in normall turbo operation the turbine controlls turbo speed by being driven by the exhaust when you let off the AP rapidly the engeine is almost compleetly defule causing a big drop in exaust presure the boost is now aplying pressure on the impellers trying to go out the intake and this causes the vanes to shuter and eventualy break. yes a sticking waste gate can cause a noise simmillar to what it sounds like I'm describing but this is an intirely diffren problem. As said befor the this is only a problem with high boost.

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can hear the "turbo farts" on 6.0's after hard acceleration which is the same thing but because those are Variable vein, its normal for them.

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HMM I've never noticed it on a 6.0 but they are the IH version vt365 running the HP they were designed to handel wich they don't but they don't lift heads like fords.

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HMM I've never noticed it on a 6.0 but they are the IH version vt365 running the HP they were designed to handel wich they don't but they don't lift heads like fords.

IT happens on every 6.0 that ive ever been in. floor it for a few seconds and then let completely off and you'll hear it .