block heater starting on fire?

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago at work I was told some one was complaining about personal trucks plugged in by the building. Its a fire hazard the block heater could short out and start a fire.

Has anyone ever herd of a fire started like this?

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a good friend this happens to just a couple of weeks ago on his Chevy dirtymax , lucky it didn't burn his house down
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
It is a fire hazard for sure, also trip hazard with cords running all over the place.

All it would take is a short in the wires, and a leaky billet alum cap ;)

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But that's why you've got to inspect it before using in the winter , especially after driving and not using all summer

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe you could make a complaint about the fully electric vehicles that are plugged at work. They too pose a fire hazard and somebody could trip over a cord. When I was in Madison, WI a while back, I see they have plug in charging stations for electric vehicles. Swipe your credit card and charge your car. Maybe the next time I am there I will park the old F350 in one of those charging spots and plug her in.:sly

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just not seeing the BLOCK heater as the issue...

Lets look at this carefully...

heating element submerged inside a big cast iron bock filled with non flammable liquid fire hazard minimal.

POWER CORD...to heater, routed often, over sharp metal and not very well looked after..

Where do you see the problem?

Block heater or cord to block heater?

JM2CW

Al

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seems to me the breaker in the building should trip before a fire like that would happen.