blinker fuse keeps blowing

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reverse light never worked when I had my auto I replaced the nss and bulbs and now that it’s a manual it still doesn’t work
That could be a clue. If there is a unused wire hanging around down there it could be hitting something metal as you are going down the road.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That could be a clue. If there is a unused wire hanging around down there it could be hitting something metal as you are going down the road.
Well the wires that go into the socket are intact but I’ve never looked at the wiring that goes in the frame rail I bet when I can actually get down on the ground again the issue will be aperant

Last edited:

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just occurred to me to add that the dead short happened a couple weeks after my manual swap.. so maybe the clutch pedal assem is eating wires

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pedal assembly area is a good place to look. And that is also when the back-up wiring was changed/messed with too correct? The automatic had the back-up wiring on the switch on the side of the trans at the shifter lever. The manual has a switch somewhere else on the transmission correct? Looking at the previous diagram it should be a pink/orange stripe wire.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea back up "switch" on the c6 is the nss on the shifter mechanism on the trans and on the t-19 its on the rear driver side of the top cover

Jim993

Reaction score
I had a similar problem a few years back. After a lot of diagnostic work found nothing. Then I remembered that I replaced the ignition switch about a month before and everything worked fine after that replacement-- until three weeks later the turn signal fuse started to blow.

Checking the wiring around the new ignition switch I found a wire pinched between the steering column and the switch. It had taken three weeks for the smashed wire insulation to allow electrical contact with the steering column. Loosened the switch pulled out the smashed wire and re wrapped the wire-- all OK five years later.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar problem a few years back. After a lot of diagnostic work found nothing. Then I remembered that I replaced the ignition switch about a month before and everything worked fine after that replacement-- until three weeks later the turn signal fuse started to blow.

Checking the wiring around the new ignition switch I found a wire pinched between the steering column and the switch. It had taken three weeks for the smashed wire insulation to allow electrical contact with the steering column. Loosened the switch pulled out the smashed wire and re wrapped the wire-- all OK five years later.
I did just replace the column promising place to look

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AHA peeled some random electrical tape back on some wires and lo and behold damaged wiring!
False alarm after repairing 4 wires still popes time to go rooting around in the column

Attachments

• CFD53C27-0636-4DAB-BE4E-57DECBF81A5F.jpeg
    CFD53C27-0636-4DAB-BE4E-57DECBF81A5F.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, lowered the column and all the wiring looks fine I guess I’ll disconnect the switch and go for a drive
Update drive with turn signal switch disconnected still blew the fuse

Last edited:

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I rolled back the rubber I found those 2 but I don’t think this effecting the situation as still blew with switch disconnect

Attachments

• F9532D7D-BF21-478D-84A5-554E342B442A.jpeg
    F9532D7D-BF21-478D-84A5-554E342B442A.jpeg
    410.9 KB · Views: 3

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you disconnect the wiring at the turnsignal switch in the upper part of the column, or somewhere else? There should be a connector at the bottom of the column also. You are concerned with the blue wire leaving the flasher going to the column, or the reverse light wire. They are the only two things that can blow that fuse if you do not touch the signal level and leave it in the middle.

9216266_orig-jpg.155742

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P.S. A good test would be to take the turnsignal flasher out, and then drive it and see if the fuse blows.

You have a hazard flasher and a turnsignal flasher. I believe one of them is on the front of the fuse box, and one of them is on the back of the fuse box. I don't remember which one is which.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P.S. A good test would be to take the turnsignal flasher out, and then drive it and see if the fuse blows.

You have a hazard flasher and a turnsignal flasher. I believe one of them is on the front of the fuse box, and one of them is on the back of the fuse box. I don't remember which one is which.
Will do, Front of the box is turn signal flasher and back is hazard
Is this the blue wire in question?
Interesting so on my test drive with no hazard flasher it was the best it’s been but it still blew

Attachments

• 9EFE2821-F964-4B10-A287-E9295E7EC271.jpeg
    9EFE2821-F964-4B10-A287-E9295E7EC271.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will be the blue wire that leads to the column and up to the turnsignal switch.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will be the blue wire that leads to the column and up to the turnsignal switch.
I think I’ll just temporarily cut it and see what happens I’m getting desperate lol

There is light blue With balck spots and a dark blue wire that goes into the column

Cut the dark blue wire and I made it throw my usual test route (4 miles) with no blown fuse! Hopefully that was it

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online