Black Goo of Death

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
So following up on my previous post about the truck dying when i put the clutch in here are some pics of the carnage. I picked up a new Filter today, and i got the 80floz bottle of Diesel Clean, i filled up the new filter with diesel clean and went to start the truck. The truck cranked for a little bit then started to lite off. then she started and idled fine, but throttle response is nil. She takes her sweet time to rev up to about 1500-2000K then drop back to idle. If i shut the key off it keeps idling for a while even AFTER i pull the FSS wire off. but she will start right back up.

After i thoroughly ran the DC through, i dumped the rest of the bottle in to the tanks(roughly 2/3 or so) then shook the truck to mix it up a bit. then i fired her up and let her run a bit longer.

Does anyone have any other ideas on what i should do?

Pic#1- Here is what i did today
Pic#2- here is a very dirty filter
Pic#3- Isnt diesel supposed to be clear?
Pic#4 the Black Goo
Pic#5- Here is what i got out of the filter there is more in there though

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
Ive been looking for a good biocide here in town but all the Truck/tractor parts stores are closed for the weekend.

Is there a specific one i should get i remember someone mentioning Biobor or something like that?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Yup. That is the "algae" that grows in the tanks. Be sure to save a sample in a container to try the biocide...that way you can see the results!

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Pump the tanks, put in the biocide and refill with fresh diesel or furnace oil with some ATF in it. I wouldn't try to use up that fuel.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
That is nasty! Is that algae that grows from old diesel or is it more likely someone had WVO in there at some point?

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Algae isn't a problem when you are consuming mass quantities of fuel. It's a problem when your truck sets or gets driven very little, especially in high humidity areas of the country. The only time I use the Bug Killer is when I let it set for a month or so. Don't need it on the road. I'm sure it grows in the underground diesel storage tanks, and I'm bound to pick it up, so I kill it when I'm back at my home base.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
the only problem with the pump it out method is i dont have anywhere to get rid of it at right now... and i dont know how much the city would charge me at the dump

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
you have a back yard. LOL

I think you forget that i live smack dab in the middle of the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia. If i even thought about doing that the gestapo would come and take me off to some work camp and i would never be seen again....

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
find yourself a West Marine that carries this.
http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/27100-biobor-jf-16oz-microbicide.html
make the effort to do so. it's the best on the market and "may" be illegal in Kali to be used on on-road vehicles.

I actually found a place in Plesanton which sells it, the ordered me some and it should be here tomorrow at the butt crack of dawn :D

So just to reiterate the correct procedure for killing this stuff i piur this in the tanks and let it sit and wait? should i pull the filter and put some in the filter as well?

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
So i got some biobor today, the place i got it from had the 1 quart bottles so thats what i got :D so if 1oz treats 40 gals the 32 oz should be good for 1280 ;) im gonna start with a double dose in both tanks and a shot in the fuel filter and let that soak in the IP and injectors for a bit and see what happnes

sootman73

Reaction score
replace the filter! why even waste the time and risk running that through the injection pump?! you should have thrown that thing away right after finding that crap in there!

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That damn algae can be a real menace if you don't take care of it. I used to run across it a lot when I was a fuel oil delivery guy way back when... And the only way to take care of it was to use the biocide. It always helps to get rid of as much moisture as you can, and pump it clean when possible, but the right chemical should clear it right up. And it never hurts to use the stuff as a preventative. After all, the new ULSD is probably just as bad for the operation as any contaminant. Of course that may just be an exaggeration, but you get the point.

Change the filters, and like the stickers on the old IH 766 says,

'Buy Clean Fuel Keep It Clean'