Big truck tow job

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Had to move a friends rolled over 07 FLAT top 270WB 475 Cat with ANOTHER friends 07 day cab 475 Cat stolen recovery;Sweet
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
now we're talking;Sweet
I do miss driving the big stuff until it comes to pulling drivelines, axles and exhaust stacks. Even with a Landoll, you still have some work due to something being over height.-cuss-cuss-cuss

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
now we're talking;Sweet
I do miss driving the big stuff until it comes to pulling drivelines, axles and exhaust stacks. Even with a Landoll, you still have some work due to something being over height.-cuss-cuss-cuss

it was not a fun day. Got to the yard to find the passenger seat , air cleaner lights, swinging license plate mount, window control bezels, and radio STOLEN:mad:

But What really sucked was the guys at the yard wouldn't help move it with the wheel loaders. It was parked in a tight spot like you would see cars at a mall. TRying to jack a 32' trailer in a 30' isle-cuss. Had to pick up the nose, drag it out sideways with locked up brakes(truck runs but some ******** lost the keys). Then reposition to get it on the trailer straight. Then take the stacks off to clear the bridges

Once the truck was back at the shop, we stole an ignition from another truck to start it:D and get it off the trailer. Then took the Wet line off for the "new truck"

But it was worth while running up the turn pike with the straight stacks. Fun for the day but would get old everyday

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Looks like it held up pretty good for a rollover...

Technically the trailer went over and took 1/2 the truck with it. The trailer went to the right and the rear of the truck followed. The frame flexed so much, The rear axles were completely vertical. But the front axle was horizontal.:eek: The left front tire was only 6" of the ground.
I'll see if I can dig up the pic in my phone

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Brad,

Was the truck stolen, and someone was using it? Or was all the stuff stolen after it was recovered, or a combination of both?

That was a nasty looking wreck, is the truck repairable? Or is he going to recover what he can and scrap the rest?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Brad,

Was the truck stolen, and someone was using it? Or was all the stuff stolen after it was recovered, or a combination of both?

That was a nasty looking wreck, is the truck repairable? Or is he going to recover what he can and scrap the rest?

The green truck was stollen and put back together. Truck was red and BORING ETC put the truck back together with a little FLAIRE.

The wrecked 07 was technically totaled by the insurance but it was bought back. It was twisted really bad. the sleeper is done, the cab is twisted and not sure if the frame has any strength left. truck may be parted out or reconstructed

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
OUCH!!! That brings back memories of my towing days. Hopefully everyone was alright minus new underwear and a seat cover.

How'd you like driving that big yellow feline? I LOVE the notorious abiility of a Caterpillar to be able to lug down to about 1000 RPM and STILL pull on hills. I would imagine she was a C13 Compound turbo model?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
OUCH!!! That brings back memories of my towing days. Hopefully everyone was alright minus new underwear and a seat cover.

How'd you like driving that big yellow feline? I LOVE the notorious abiility of a Caterpillar to be able to lug down to about 1000 RPM and STILL pull on hills. I would imagine she was a C13 Compound turbo model?

My buddy was fine. Happened at only 35mph
It is GUTLESS(only 76k). 4:10 gears w 18 speed. Yes twin turbo junk. I'll take a cummins any day

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you do that with a 3406 and it will reward you by coughing up a cylinder liner.:eek:

brad-
resist the urge to reuse the frame. I rebuilt a 3axle heavy TT with a twisted frame and it never felt "right" when going down the road. It was like the whole truck was "sprung" wrong for the lack of a better description.
if your buddy can afford getting a new glider, swaping over the powertrain is a much better idea.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
you do that with a 3406 and it will reward you by coughing up a cylinder liner.:eek:

brad-
resist the urge to reuse the frame. I rebuilt a 3axle heavy TT with a twisted frame and it never felt "right" when going down the road. It was like the whole truck was "sprung" wrong for the lack of a better description.
if your buddy can afford getting a new glider, swaping over the powertrain is a much better idea.

O he can afford it. Look at the rest of his fleet

http://www.google.com/search?q=hill...9BMnq0gGv7-DjAQ&ved=0CEkQsAQ&biw=1667&bih=783