Big radiator in place of small?

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I did something very stupid tonight. After 3 years, I lit up the 6.9 for the first time. Unfortunately I forgot to tighten the fan and it came sailing off and took out my brand new radiator. Spectra CU1165. Things are not good financially right now and I can’t afford to replace it. However, the automatic 1990 f350 I have sitting around for my frame up resto has the big one in it, I believe it’s 15” tall and 37ish wide? Will that bolt right in? My 89 has A/C, the ‘90 doesn’t. Look like it should fit bit I’m guessing a intercooler will be out of the question in the future.

Yes, I screwed up. I admit it. Not my better moment

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, the short wide rads and tall narrow rads have different core supports and do not swap. Being as they are both bricknose trucks you could swap the core supports and run the larger radiator that way.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Sounds like it's trashed pretty bad but this is an interesting "repair" video...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear your situation. I'm guessing the fan probably ate a significant number of rows, but if it's just in one area, you could think about pulling those tubes out at each tank and soldering them shut. I've logged lots of gasser miles on brass radiators with individual rows deleted due to corrosion damage. If done right they really don't leak and they will get you through some trying times.

Good luck no matter which way you go, but you might just have to bite the bullet and buy another Spetra/Champion.

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wes
Can you have good core supports for big radiator bullnose? I heard they are hard to find.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online