Best way to find an IDI to buy?

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jayro88,

ALL that I know about that was that my 1st wife & I did fine at Ft. McCoy WI with a 1984 2WD F250 Diesel PU. = It's HARD to find a place with more snow/ice than Ft McCoy.
(Ft. McCoy wasn't picked as the Army's Winter Training Center W/O just cause.)

In the event that you decide to come to the Alamo City to visit family, I'll help you find a suitable PU, if you desire me to do so.

just my OPINION, tex

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appriciate all the offers to help.

I won't know for sure what we are going to do intil next week some time.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep buying mine off Craigslist.
Up where I am, deals tend to be had in the winter and early spring - December through March. Mainly, when they won't start or run horribly.

That's where you pick up the $3,000 rig for $1500 or $1k... as long as you understand IDIs, how they work, and are willing to fix em.
Starting issues are really common when it gets cold, and I'm not afraid of them. At all. Because, it's a glow plug problem; a single bad glow plug will make it hard to start, 2+ will make it more or less impossible. And, it might not be the plug; just the wire. Or the controller.

Also, fuel issues are common - as we all know, IPs and injectors wear out. Worn IPs and injectors end up with retarded timing(hard to start, smokes, low power). I haven't yet had issues taking one, doing a few adjustments and some 'maintenance' and getting it on the road again.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So whatever happened with the insurance on the deer-hunter-mobile? Dunno about Indiana, but here in WI, and in MI, if the insurance "totals" your car, that's only an economic thing. It only means the dollar damage is more than what they consider the vehicle worth. Typically you can "buy" the car back, for whatever they settle on minus what they could get for the car in scrap. In WI and MI, they just then issue you a check for the difference, and the title never changes hands. I fixed up two cars that way, for less than the settlement amount. That thing ^^^^ looks like it could be repaired in a driveway, double bonus if you find a fender of matching color. Father-son project?.....

As for finding another IDI, check out SearchTempest.com. It basically searches multiple craigslists for a geographical area. There are other similar tools out there. You'll probably have to drive a ways. We had to go to Byron IL (1.5 hr), Fond Du Lac (2 hr) and Racine (2 hr) to find our IDI and two PSDs. Trucks of this vintage are just getting more few and far between with each passing year. If you look south, toward KY, you'll find trucks in better shape wrt. rust.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I watched Craigslist off and on for two years before finding mine. I ended up driving to riverside from Vegas to buy it but as nice of shape as it's in, it was well worth the wait and the drive to buy it.
The PO bought it with a bad trans 8 years ago and had the Ford dealer put a reman it it. In those 8 years, they only put 30,000 miles on it.
I've had to do the typical wear items, IP, injectors, glow plugs, steering box, hoses, radiator. Etc.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all tue help.

Turns out it was less than expected to fix my wifes van, so we are gping that route.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Is Idaho too far?
I'm going to try and get rid of this one again, it was a daily/backup until about a year ago and it's been sitting in the backyard since then. The other side has a couple primer spots from some rust repair, and the front fenders don't quite match anymore....a little lighter shade of brown. Runs and drives good though.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach
So if op passes on this what would be your price ?

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help.

Ended up being less than expected for parts to fix the van, so we are going that route.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My parents live in San Antonio. Maybe combine a visit with a truck pickup. I have seen quite a few 2wd that look nice in the range that I am looking. My van does fine in the snow, just not sure how a younger driver would do with a 2wd truck in the ice and snow.

Still gotta think on it a bit.
Random thought for when the time does come. Diesel pickups tend to be very tail happy and very nose heavy which is not the best combination on snow and ice. I suspect the balance is just a little better on your van.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Random thought for when the time does come. Diesel pickups tend to be very tail happy and very nose heavy which is not the best combination on snow and ice. I suspect the balance is just a little better on your van.

I was pleasantly suprised with the way the van handles the snow. With decent tires it easily out performs my wifes fwd Sienna. Probably due to the added ground clearance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online