Best to replace all the glow plugs? One bad one found

Lithgow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it best to replace all the glow plugs? I have found one bad one when testing with test light and resistance. I was able to get to 6 of them. The remaining 2 under the turbo look like I will have to take the turbo off.... (and if so, will I need any gaskets for the turbo?). This is on the 94 F250 in my sig.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are they all Motorcraft/Beru? I don't think you need to replace all of them. The rear two were burnt out on my truck, found out after pulling them that somebody had put Champions in there at some point. I just replaced those two, and one other Beru that had burnt out, had no other issues in the time I owned the truck.

BTW you shouldn't have to pull the turbo...but it's not too easy to get your hands in there either. Pulling the turbo is a *****, I wouldn't recommend it unless you really have to or are taking it off to rebuild it or something.

Lithgow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know which gp are in it. I recently bought the truck, and it has low miles (76,000) it appears to have the original injectors, as they still have the gray paint on them. I may change that one gp and see if it solves the slight hard to start issue and white smoke when it first starts.

Lithgow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Udpdate: changed out the bad glow plug. Starts much better now. The old gp is also a Beru (motorcraft). It has FC stamped on it as well. Gotta love how easy it is to work on these IDI's (cheap parts too)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do not have to remove the turbo to do those last two GP's. Just some determination and the right tool. Thankfully, on the last engine I worked on, the previous mechanic thought they were impossible to remove, so he left them alone. They were the only two Beru's in the engine. The other 6 were Champion, and iffy getting out.

Lithgow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like the very rear one on pass side would be really tough. lots of patience and knuckle banging?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I treat them like sparkplugs, all at once.
If you do just one at a time as they go bad, it'll be a never ending cycle. IMO.

Do you do brakes one at a time?
Injectors?
See where I'm going?

Invest in a ⅜ or ¼ drive knuckle.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I replaced all 8 about 3 years ago with Berus. I think one or two are shot so I am going to replace as needed from this point forward until this method proves faulty.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like the very rear one on pass side would be really tough. lots of patience and knuckle banging?

I used a magnet. 1/4" drive ratchet with a universal and lots of patience for that one! I actually had more difficulty hooking the wire back up.