best RPM range for this new W&S vane pump

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up one of these vane pumps off Ebay for $50 and I'm wondering what its best RPM range might be. I've got two 1/3 hp motors I want to hook up to it and so I get a choice of gear ratios. I'm inclined to think about 2:1 would work fine. The motors run at 1750 so I'm thinking the pump would run about 900 RPM.

you might have to scroll down to get to the pump
http://www.ebay.com/itm/W-S-vane-pump-hydraulic-fuel-oil-5-8-shaft-/300610196859

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you going to pump with it? Hooking direct would be OK, with just a coupling.

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WVO and WMO

I'm thinking this things a lot bigger and stiffer than the gear pump I have now. Its about twice the size, so if I step it down some it might help the motors last a little longer but. does the pump still operate at that lower RPM. I've not really been able to find specs on this thing yet.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WVO and WMO

I'm thinking this things a lot bigger and stiffer than the gear pump I have now. Its about twice the size, so if I step it down some it might help the motors last a little longer but. does the pump still operate at that lower RPM. I've not really been able to find specs on this thing yet.

A vane pump is not as efficient as a gear pump, run the damn thing. A gear pump never stops pumping until something blows, a vane pump will only pump up to a given pressure and stop pumping, but the pressure may be quite high, unless it has an internal adjustable relief valve. With an open end into a tank, the pressure is about nothing, but lots of volume. Fill the pump as much as you can so it don't burn up the blades before it picks up suction.

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just hoping someone knew what the best RPM range was for this thing. I've identified the pump and what I'm going to be pumping with it. I'll just call the company in the morning.

I was kinda thinking that other people might want to know as well. That way they can gear there pumps to whatever motor they have. Assuming its of sufficient strength.

If you had a pump that required a 1hp motor for cold oil on a 1:1 ratio but the optimal RPM for the pump was x and the optimal RPM for the motor was Y then a few gears later and you might just be able to use say a 3/4 hp motor, or even a 1/2 depends.

but if you guys don't know the optimal RPM range ( my next question would have been best HP range based on RPM range. ) for that particular pump, then I guess I'll just call the company that made it in the morning, assuming there still in biz.

Cheers
B

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well That was interesting, W&S pump CO. doesn't make pumps themselves and never heard of anyone using there name. Don't know what this pump could be. Have no clue as to the proper RPM range.

I guess my next best bet is to contact the seller for additional info.