Beru plugs early failure?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
never been overly impressed with that part#. Usually convert to the later 7.3 system or if they want manual control, go with bosch 80034......slower plug, but will put up with ANY abuse a button pusher can dish out.

For the bullet style connector opposed to the spade style on the ZD-1's? I don't believe there is a difference in the actual plug itself is there?
I have run many sets in mine and customers trucks over the past 15 years or so, without issue.

Black dawg

Reaction score
For the bullet style connector opposed to the spade style on the ZD-1's? I don't believe there is a difference in the actual plug itself is there?
I have run many sets in mine and customers trucks over the past 15 years or so, without issue.
I never tested them side by side with power applied. I guess I just ASSumed they were different because the spade plugs never seemed to hold up very good with manual control.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Hmmmm. Yea I have never had an issue with them on manual control in the past. I convert more 6.9 to manual the 7.3's with the bullet style, as they 7.3 controller as we know is more reliable and often still works

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this winter I get to do gp whent to start the dirty pearl and she didn't want to fire and 8t was only like 18*f out and they are only 2 years old I hope none are swollen if so the motor is coming out :mad::frustrate;Pissed:puke:andgetting upgraded

Black dawg

Reaction score
just replaced a beru in my truck that was only a few months old......noticed inconsistent wait to start light (7.3 system) on time would sometimes be several seconds short, and single cylinder misfire for a bit. New plug all is well.

hope this isn't going to be common with these now?

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel makes a difference, or at least it has for me. When I ran a lot of wmo mix, glow plugs had much shorter service life. Based on that experience, it's logical to assume an engine in poor condition (ex: broken rings / burning crankcase oil) would also produce conditions resulting in shorten service life.

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems I recall a big resistor as part of the factory glow plugs controller. It looked like a strap bent back and forth a few times, and one end was connected to one of the contact bolts of the glow plugs relay.

I am set to replace my glow plug relay with a white-rodgers industrial contactor on the next go around, and am concerned if I delete this resistor, I will overvoltage my glow plugs.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are planning on still using the controller, you need to keep the resistor. That is what the controller uses to measure the current. If you are going manual, you don't necessarily need to keep the resistor.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just received a full set of motorcraft ZD9s.

I thought the good ones were made in Italy??? (Or was that India?)

These are made in Germany...

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was having similar issues until I stopped holding the glow plugs on for 10 seconds. Now I hold them on for 6-8 seconds and allow 3 seconds delay before attempting to crank. I used to always try starting as soon as I released the glow plugs but there was always one or two cylinders that seemed to sputter, so I fell into the trap of holding the plugs on a little longer, thinking they were not getting hot enough.

My 1986 style controller rarely works properly because it often goes straight into after glow cycling. What was very strange is that if I allowed it to do this for 3-4 short cycles, the engine always fired up perfectly on cold start (even better than 10 solid glow). That's when I realized that waiting a few seconds after the main glow event might help by giving the prechambers time to heat soak. It seemed to work, and I've had no issues since.

I do have a solid state controller that I bought off Ebay ages ago. Just no time to put it in, and I'm still not 100% sure if it can be made to work with the spade style ZD1a style plugs. There seem to still be conflicting opinions on that.

Black dawg

Reaction score
just replaced a beru in my truck that was only a few months old......noticed inconsistent wait to start light (7.3 system) on time would sometimes be several seconds short, and single cylinder misfire for a bit. New plug all is well.

hope this isn't going to be common with these now?

So now I have two more bad ones. Guess it is time to do something different.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I have no hard evidence at the moment but I think you may have a point. I haven’t had time to check my records but my 91 is in great shape with no starting or maintenance issues. It lost 2 ZD-9’s what I would call prematurely, gets started 2x per week and gets 5,000 miles a year on average. No big deal, had spares but was surprised since they were replaced with the injectors and pump.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online