Belt Loose, also anyone hear a knock?

Dreadflux

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am looking for more information on this belt that looks to have excessive movement. I’ve included a video below for you guys to have a look. Does it need to be tightened?

Also, how does my idle sound?

Any tips on what you see is greatly appreciated! I just bought this truck and I’ll be taking it in soon to have a guy look it over to ensure everything is as it should be.
Thank you in advance.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a normal IDI Diesel. Nice clean engine...WOW!
You could take up some of that slack in the Alternator belt, they all have a little floppyness to them guess because of the length.

My 86 gives me fits at times trying to pry the Alternator over enough to tighten the belt.

Hope the guy you take it to understands these older mechanical engines. If he drags out his scanner get the heck out of there.

Goat.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't hear anything out of the ordinary. These are noisy engines. The V-belts on the alternators are always floppy like that at an idle. Raise the engine speed up just a few hundred RPM and it runs smoothly. Some people say that they've installed an idler pulley to help take some of the flopping out of that belt, but I have no idea how they did it.

TexasTruck

Reaction score
I just put all new belts on my IDI today. I didn't like the alt belt slop flop and it was still there at higher RPMs. They make a belt that won't flap but it's like $500 and rated for 1000HP drag machine (That's the one I was replacing due to age). Someone on here posted using a Dayco 13A1060 belt around the water pump pulley straight to the alt. Found a house brand at Oreilly on interchange to master pro. I think it was 9514. So I did that and it works nicely. I put the new bigger belt in the tool box in case I need it as an emergency spare on a dark road somewhere far from home. Your engine sounds smooth and it's very clean!

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like your truck has been well taken care of. I noticed a coolant filter there beside the alternator that’s been added as well. That’s usually a good sign that the previous owner knew what needed to be taken care of on these trucks and likely kept up with the maintenance schedules. Good luck with it.

Jim993

Reaction score
Sounds fine to me. The alternator belt needs to be tensioned. Loose belts are subject to being thrown off the sheaves.

I use this tool to check belt tension:

Belt tension should technically be 72 pounds using the above gauge. Might as well check and adjust them all. If you can't get 70 pounds, as tight as you can get them as close to 72 as you can get. I had to make a tool to get the vacuum pump belt to 70 pounds.

Something to think about for the near future- The Ford gauge system is not particularly accurate. In addition, the Banks kit relocates the oil pressure sender unit to the turbo where it reads slightly less pressure because oil is flowing to and also from the turbo. I plugged the sender port on the turbo and relocated the sender unit to the firewall with a pressure source from the main oil gallery down low on the driver side of the block. An un used 1/8" pipe plug resides there in the main oil gallery. Also added a real mechanical pressure gauge at the firewall. Now I know that hot idle oil pressure is 20 and hot oil pressure at 2,000 RPM is 50.
You must be registered for see images attach

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a normal IDI Diesel. Nice clean engine...WOW!

Goat.
Yep. Every once in a while I get to worrying about the clatter from my engine.

Then some yahoo here posts up a vidya of his engine runnin, and I'm right back to... AWWWWW YEAH!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online