Bearing On It's Way Out?

ihatelaramie

Reaction score
Just this last week I noticed that in 3rd gear(T19), between 1800-2300rpm, I hear something that sounds a lot like a mouse's feet running across a bare floor, if that makes sense. It started out just an occasional "chirp", but now it does it everytime I'm in 3rd. Someone said it might be a synchro going out, but I'm kinda thinking it's a bearing... :dunno
I just need someone to tell me how screwed I am...

crazy4wdracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd think that if it was a synchro going out it would make noise once it was already in 3rd gear. My T-19 makes a grinding noise while I'm in 3rd if I don't hold the shifter all the way forward, if I let go of the stick while it's in 3rd it makes this grinding noise. Maybe it's just the shifter vibrating, I'm not really sure.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Heve you checked the oil level in the trans... It might be something simple too like a universal joint or center support bearing on the drive shaft....

ihatelaramie

Reaction score
Oil leaks out when you pull the fill, and it's nearly as clean as it was when I filled it a year ago. No center support bearing, and the u-joints look to be good but I suppose anything is possible..

ihatelaramie

Reaction score
So now it's getting worse-go figure.. I was quoted $1200-cuss for a guy to do all the work to pull it and rebuild it, but I don't have that kind of money. My alternate would be to just swap in a used one, unless it is something stupid simple. I'm gonna pull the side covers in the morning. Anything in particular I should be checking for?

BTW, anyone in the Houston area got a good T19 just lying around?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forget that guy that wanted 1200 for a rebuild. Supposedly even non mechanics and folks with less skill than the most advanced hobbiers can build a T18/19. Also you can grab any T18, T19 or NP435 so long as you use your diesel bellhousing and it is in a Ford not an IH or something else. Your own rebuild would cost a lot of your time olus a couple hundred for bearings synchro rings and gaskets. If there's hard parts damage juts junk it and get a beater, they are hard to damage too badly and a ton of them are in junk yards usually cheap.