Batttery cables

Mullis23

Mike
Reaction score
hey fellas i am in need of some battery cables both negative and postive. I searched the forum and found custombatterycables.com came up a bunch so i tried there but the website seems to be down and he hasnt emailed me back for two weeks. So i was just wondering if anyone knew anywhere else to get them besides napa. thanks guys

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no experience with that company, but a lot of guys will simply make their own. Using a large gauge welding cable and crimping or soldering new clamps on the cable.

Heath

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought mine from Norther Auto Parts a couple years ago...Well, I think I got the positive cable only, I can't remember now? Cost me $110 at the time and that was about the best price I could find.

Mullis23

Mike
Reaction score
my truck sat for awhile before i got it. I would just cut the ends off but the insulation has a split right done the center of it. Where it crosses in front of the radiator. So i gotta get some or make some.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tractor Suppy has some heavy duty cable ends that are big enough to hold two big welding cables, or just one. When I say big I'm talking thumb size. When I got my truck it had very sloppy home spun cables and that was what I used, I also dipped the ends in a conductive paste and painted the post and termnials with the paste. One of these days I will get some new wire and copper lugs using mil. terminals.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my truck sat for awhile before i got it. I would just cut the ends off but the insulation has a split right done the center of it. Where it crosses in front of the radiator. So i gotta get some or make some.

Most likely, the copper itself is still in good condition.

Were it me, I would trot over to Harbor Freight and buy a few packages of their shrink-tube assortments = five four-foot pieces 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, and inch size.

Clean the old covering as best as possible; pull the splits together as much as possible and hold them together with tightly/neatly wrapped black-tape; then, put two or three layers of the shrink-tube --- one layer at a time of course --- over the entire length.

Split away the old lead terminals with a hack-saw before beginning this repair, retaining as much cable length as possible.

There is absolutely nothing gained by retaining the poor factory design of that mid-cable HOT terminal.

Make that HOT cable into TWO separate cables, WITH COPPER LUGS --- not lead clamps ---, and either connect them to the battery-post via the bolt on
a military battery-clamp, a marine adapter, or a stud-top Group-31 battery. ;Sweet

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Most likely, the copper itself is still in good condition.

Were it me, I would trot over to Harbor Freight and buy a few packages of their shrink-tube assortments = five four-foot pieces 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, and inch size.

Clean the old covering as best as possible; pull the splits together as much as possible and hold them together with tightly/neatly wrapped black-tape; then, put two or three layers of the shrink-tube --- one layer at a time of course --- over the entire length.

Split away the old lead terminals with a hack-saw before beginning this repair, retaining as much cable length as possible.

There is absolutely nothing gained by retaining the poor factory design of that mid-cable HOT terminal.

Make that HOT cable into TWO separate cables, WITH COPPER LUGS --- not lead clamps ---, and either connect them to the battery-post via the bolt on
a military battery-clamp, a marine adapter, or a stud-top Group-31 battery. ;Sweet

pics?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You can get the plastic split conduit in any size, Just use that across the front.

Try AutoZone for new.

Mullis23

Mike
Reaction score
sorry old bull i should have explained better my cable ends are terrible just all rusted and corroded. The part in front of the radiator is missing alot of insulation so much that there is a two inch by three eights inch slit of open wire.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
O'reilly Auto Parts can get you new Motorcraft cables as well, they have to be ordered though. I got a new positive cable a couple months ago and had no issues with it. It was cheaper than the dealership but I cant remember the exact cost.

6.9l ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carquest sells a 2/0 replacement positive cable, I have it on my truck.
I think it was around $100:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online