Battery Problems.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Ok here is the deal...

Here at work start truck up, cranks a little slow but starts just fine. Actually was not cranking that slow just a smidgen slower than it should. Drive home nets a hair over 14 volts on the dash gauge (can I trust it - don't know).

Pull in garage shut key off go inside come back out 15 mins later hit key - NOTHING, just a half hearted 1/4 rev. Dang... jump in wife's trusty steed to run Sherman to school. Come back check batt voltage via dash gauge - 8-9 volts - not good.

Open hood hook up fancy dancy charger (has voltage gauge built in, along with microprocessor to test condition of batts) charger says 12 volts - humm.... so throw on manual 20 amps scale for 10 mins - pulling 17.8~15.3 amps - eek! must have been low.

Flip on 275 amp boost and hit starter fires right up with authority. Unhook charger system - grab Fluke meter (just been calibrated at work so I know it's good)... Shows 14.5 volts at the terminals, run over to second batt (main batt - reading should be same because they are in parallal but figured what the ford give it a shot) 12 volts :confused: :mad:

Wait a cotton picking minute is what I'm thinking... So stab from batt neg post to batt positive post = 12v
Stab from neg post to positive terminal = 14.5v

Stab from pos post to pos term = 1.5v

Ahha must be corrosion, so go to dig out battery terminal cleaner brush - can't find that thing to same my sweet butt for nothing... so truck currently sits in garage waiting on me. I think the corrosion has gotten me. Because as soon as you shut the engine off and cycle the key back to the on position the dash gauge shows 8~9 volts...

Just thought I would throw this up incase someone else thinks that dirty connections can not cause you headaches... My connections actually look good from the outside, must be some stuff at the clamping point it's self.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
I had such bad corrosion at both positive terminals that I replaced the positive battery cable. They were eaten way down...:eek: Got a set of felt terminal washers and used battery corrosion spray (the red stuff). Problem solved!

Last edited:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had terminal corrosion do the same thing on my 65 Stang. Drove me nuts until I figured out what the deal was.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
So those felt washers really work... humm I always thought they were for looks... Might pick up a set in the morning to throw on there. Typically I cover everything in a little grease to seal it from the air. (just purcahsed truck and PO did not do that).

Whit

Reaction score
You are prolly right on with the corrosion thing, terminals may look good on the outside but will have gunk on the ppost, clean em up good and see what ya get, also instead of the red protector stuff I use Karo syrup, paint it on with a small brush and it dries hard, will clean up with water when you need at it again. :)

Cheers, Kevin

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
You talking the same Karo syrup that Sherri uses in the kitchen :***:

Never heard of that before... Hell I'm game... I've used Coca-cola to clean 'em before...

Whit

Reaction score
Originally posted by argve
You talking the same Karo syrup that Sherri uses in the kitchen :***:

YEP.......and the look on yer wifes face when you take the Karo syrup to the garage is priceless:D

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
Corrosion is usually the cause of most problems. However always keep this in mind, a battery can fail and the wiring on the dual battery setup can make it look fine. its only when you disconnect it completely, then the failure shows up.

I had one go completely to hell on me and the drivers battery kept everything going. I never even noticed it was on one battery. (cranking speed was fine, lights bright, etc.) This was with stocks. I had changed out to Optimas in the fall and found the dead battery then. Got lucky. LOL

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I ended up having to replace the batts. It was a combo thing that was getting me. Came to royal head about a month back. Got to the point that I pulled into the garage and 1 hour later DEAD... Threw charger/booster on her started her up and drove to Advance Auto - had them put new ones in. Labor was free.