Battery placement

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have what will probably turn out to be a silly question.

Is there any real reason that the batteries our trucks are located where they are or is it just a spacing thing from the way they were designed at the factory? Maybe an electrical reason like each battery needs its own ground?

The reason I am asking is I have seen a few threads in other forums where people have built a bracket to hold both batteries on one side or the other of the engine bay in order to make room for something else where the battery used to be.

Just got me wondering. :dunno

thanks!

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Thats where the enginers decided to put them....so long as you run the cables correctly it really doesnt matter where the batteries are (hang em off a trailer behind the truck for all it matters) just make sure if you relocate them to use proper gauge wire and hook them up correctly (more grounds the better)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Most likely a weight balance and strength thing since they are basically hanging off the core support and inner fenders right at the corner where it is the strongest and it helps tie the fenders in structurally. You could relocate them both to one side with a little fabricating, but thats a lot of weight in one spot hanging there but its been done. Individual grounds do give better grounding considering teh spacing, but with batts right next to each other there is no reason not to share a ground cable , just increase the size of the cable to the largest you can get your hands on to carry the ground properly from the last batt to the engine ( say 4/0 ).. any semi truck or tractor parts shop will have bulk batt cable in the size needed, do not use welding cable, the casing will not resist oil and fuel long term

Reaction score
Even weight distribution so as not to upset the very exact chassis dynamics that were precision engineered for our trucks' awesome handling ability, lol.

Mike

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL! Excellent answers! Pretty much what I figured. I always wondered how my truck could hold on to those corners so well.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you look at a class 8 truck, battery location varies. From behind the front steer, to the side behind the cab. I'd relocate my batteries to the rear of the cab, but I have this damn old 8' bed in the way :frustrate

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even weight distribution so as not to upset the very exact chassis dynamics that were precision engineered for our trucks' awesome handling ability, lol.

Mike
It is actually to prevent the truck from cork screwing when jumping over Cletus' sheriff car. Yeeeee haaaaa

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Relocating Batteries

Hi All,

I have what will probably turn out to be a silly question.

Is there any real reason that the batteries our trucks are located where they are or is it just a spacing thing from the way they were designed at the factory? Maybe an electrical reason like each battery needs its own ground?

The reason I am asking is I have seen a few threads in other forums where people have built a bracket to hold both batteries on one side or the other of the engine bay in order to make room for something else where the battery used to be.

Just got me wondering. :dunno

thanks!

I relocated the drivers side battery so it sits right behind the passenger side battery...That allowed me to be able to cut the amount of battery cableing by more than half...SAVES MONEY!

Another plus was it gave me room on the drivers side to mount a wire cage to keep my BEER cold & hidden if stopped by cops...Not Really!

Also, I can take right hand cornering much faster...LMAO

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would I need to relocate the left side battery to put a cold air intake box under the hood?? Why couldnt the batteries be located in a sturdy built box on the right frame rail under the box right behind the cab??

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would I need to relocate the left side battery to put a cold air intake box under the hood?? Why couldnt the batteries be located in a sturdy built box on the right frame rail under the box right behind the cab??
There is NO reason not to mount them on the frame as you profess. NONE, just the difficulty in accessing the batteries is about it.

This is something I'm working on, albeit SLOWLY and I'm looking for a battery box off a medium duty or semi that I can use to relocate to RH frame rail, behind front spring. This will provide the shortest cable to the starter, give me much more under hood room, provide a weight reduction up high thus lowering center of gravity, and put the battery below my ass instead of in front of my face in case of an accident.

As a worker whom has done auto wrecking I've seen the mess a batter can create in the cabin when smashed bad enough and I've never liked a battery up front up high. I'd rather have it low behind me!

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Battery Mounting Position

There is NO reason not to mount them on the frame as you profess. NONE, just the difficulty in accessing the batteries is about it.

This is something I'm working on, albeit SLOWLY and I'm looking for a battery box off a medium duty or semi that I can use to relocate to RH frame rail, behind front spring. This will provide the shortest cable to the starter, give me much more under hood room, provide a weight reduction up high thus lowering center of gravity, and put the battery below my ass instead of in front of my face in case of an accident.

As a worker whom has done auto wrecking I've seen the mess a batter can create in the cabin when smashed bad enough and I've never liked a battery up front up high. I'd rather have it low behind me!

You are correct about as to where one can mount batteries...I have a friend who got a hold of a big rig battery mounting box and bolted it a slider on the passenger side frame rail real close to the starter. He modified just a bit so it was small enough to hold 2 batteries instead of 4. The slider makes it real easy to get to the batteries for maintenance...and best of all the batteries because of the slider are tucked under the truck and not sticking out the side...Of course this is what you are working on...Just wanted to say your were right about placement and that your idea is certainly feasable...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are correct about as to where one can mount batteries...I have a friend who got a hold of a big rig battery mounting box and bolted it a slider on the passenger side frame rail real close to the starter. He modified just a bit so it was small enough to hold 2 batteries instead of 4. The slider makes it real easy to get to the batteries for maintenance...and best of all the batteries because of the slider are tucked under the truck and not sticking out the side...Of course this is what you are working on...Just wanted to say your were right about placement and that your idea is certainly feasable...

NOT working on slider...that becomes a point of failure....solid mount only, the rest though is a go...and who knows...perhaps 4 batteries...but no likely.

There are a few members here whom have done this mod already...

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
PSD Es have their "passenger side" battery mounted under/behind the passenger side cargo door threshold.

I haven't had the pleasure of replacing one of those myself. My boss has professional fleet mechanics for that. LOL:rotflmao

The passenger side battery on my IDI E is the fairly exotic Group 50 size. I had to go to a local specialty battery place for mine; the first words outta the guy's mouth was "old Ford van, huh?" :rolleyes:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
When I switched to G31 batteries on My 93 I thought about relocating the batteries to one side or by the frame somewhere but ended dropping the tray and adding some support brackets, they are placed on the right spot so unless I could mount them by the frame where they can be accessed with ease I leave them where they are.