Batteries

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Factory-original in my 1985 was two Group 27F.

I now run three Group 31s; two are only ever for starting and the third is for everything else.

Besides the Group 31s ("s" meaning threaded stud terminals), the best thing I did for my batteries was to quit using lead-post clamp-on terminals and use strictly crimped-on copper "lug" (ring) terminals.

NEVER solder big sized cables; slather the Copper strands with petroleum jelly and pack the end of the terminal full of it and crimp the living HEdoubleLL out of them with one of those Forney crimpers that you set on the anvil and hit with a sledge-hammer.

The secret is in the petroleum jelly; fifty years later the Copper strands will be cleaner and shinier than the day they were put together.

For the last many many years, I get all my batteries as nameless "blems" for less than 25% of bargain-barn prices from a guy I know who owns a big battery store that sells/services everything from a watch battery to an 8DLT.

I have never got a bad battery from him and they usually last from seven to ten years.

I know I am stepping on a few toes; but, that business about swapping out all the batteries at the same time is hogwash.

Yes, it is good to have all the batteries fresh and brand-shiny-new; but, nothing detrimental is going to happen when you only replace a single battery at a time; I and many others in my area have done it for generations with no ill effects.

Battery A has no idea what Battery B is doing, nor whether B is older or younger than A; if B gets a dead cell and draws down the average between A and B, once B is cut loose from the mix, A will charge right back up there and forget the experience.

Of course, if one has no means of switching the batteries away from each other, one doesn't have any means of knowing the truth of the matter other than disconnecting cables.

A big Cole Hersee Marine four-position battery switch will soon pay for itself in batteries saved from the junk man.

While I am talking switches, I will vouch for those Harbor Freight battery cut-off switches as well, the ones with the big red plastic "key"; they only turn a battery ON or OFF; but, they can be employed to separate the left battery from the right so proper testing can be done.

Those Harbor Freight switches have some really good guts that make positive contact time and time and time again; it's a shame Harbor Freight doesn't make them in four position as well.

The Cole Hersee = starting at the bottom and going clockerwise - Everything OFF - Battery One - Both Batteries - Battery Two - and back to OFF.

I read a lot of mention of Group 65; some thirty five years ago, I bought a "reconditioned" Group 65 of unknown heritage at the local cheap tools and furniture store for fifteen bucks; I just happened to be in walking distance of there when whatever I was driving got me stranded and I had to have a battery --- any old battery that would fire off and get me out of there.

For some reason or other, I ended up using that old 65 in my truck for a long time; I couldn't count the tractors and other stuff it has been in until a correct battery could be had.

For the last several years it has resided in the shop with a maintainer connected full time and has various cables and pigtails on it routed here and there for bench testing everything from big diesel starters to tiny bulbs; I have no doubt it would start anything I might put it in today.

There is quite a bit of mention of Interstate batteries here and I am sure for good reason; for many years, we were an Interstate dealer; as good as they may be, the only three batteries I have ever had to freeze solid were Interstate Megatrons; their top-of-the-line at the time.

We also sold Deka and my experience with them was that their lead was much too soft and their studs were much too shallow in said soft lead; and, if you torqued the terminal nuts the least little bit, you would rootwad the threaded stud from the battery; hopefully, they have cured that problem by now.

We had three batteries that were pretty much bulletproof and problem free; Gould, Hester (Start and Go with Hester), and Safemark "Big Kick"; you put any one of those three in anything and it would start today and leave it set in the barn for a year and it would start then as well.

It is sad that, with all the modern technology, I can't go out and buy a battery of any brand from anywhere that is even close to what was commonly available at poor man's prices in the 1970s.

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Midnight Rider wrote...

"NEVER solder big sized cables; slather the Copper strands with petroleum jelly and pack the end of the terminal full of it and crimp the living HEdoubleLL out of them with one of those Forney crimpers that you set on the anvil and hit with a sledge-hammer."

Could I ask why you dislike solder?

Last edited:

Reggie f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All my battery cables are soldered. One end was junk when I got my truck and the rest got replaced as they disintegrated. Used copper pipe cut and crimped. Drilled a hole for mounting and one opposite the cable so when it's heated the solder will flow through the terminal. I have done this on many vehicles and never any problems.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
I had the advance auto Golds, lasted me 10+ years, but I just replaced them with "seconds" batterys from a local battery shop. 150 for both out the door

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sat 2 seeks unplugged.
Yea go look above for the date, 2012 or 14
Costco

Attachments

• 20231002_145529.jpg
    20231002_145529.jpg
    502.1 KB · Views: 4

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Midnight Rider wrote...

"NEVER solder big sized cables; slather the Copper strands with petroleum jelly and pack the end of the terminal full of it and crimp the living HEdoubleLL out of them with one of those Forney crimpers that you set on the anvil and hit with a sledge-hammer."

Could I ask why you dislike solder?

The bigger the wire/cable, the less I like solder.

Besides the chance that the soldered connection might get hot enough to melt the solder, my main dislike is how the solder is "stiff" and inflexible.

Solder will run back inside the sheathing on the individual strands, farther along some than others; that, coupled with the event work-hardening the Copper and you have set up a recipe for the strands to break.

For years, I have religiously soldered all smaller connections, both twisted/spliced and crimped; however, I am more and more on the fence about soldering the smaller crimped connections for the same reasons that I don't use it on the larger connections.

I am, however, a firm believer in soldering smaller twisted splices as the solder is often the only thing that "glues" things together so that they will stay together.

Slather plenty of petroleum jelly on the components of any crimped connection and it will outperform and outlive a soldered connection.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back in Jan. 68 I started to work for Sylvania Electronics in Santa Cruz. The main plant had part of the Minute Man contract and the smaller place I worked at had another Govt. contract called Bat Boy.

Anyway, had to take a Solder class, and I remember the lady saying, "Solder is for continuity, not strength". With a good Solder connection, it does add strength. I did a fair amount of Soldering while there.
So on a vehicle, I always solder the wires and use Heat Shrink tubing. Crimping wires I have never a fan of. I have had crimps that pulled apart.
Battery connections is a different animal.

Goat

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I soldered a lot of electronic stuff over the years, starting as a child. I've never done it for power. Electricians usually don't know how to solder: everything in the power world is clamped or crimped or cad welded.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I watched a YT Vid of a guy doing the Weather Pack connectors. And he soldered them for a good connection.

Goat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online