Batteries

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for advice on best batteries for cold weather starting. My batteries are on their way out therefore new ones are in the not so distant future. Current batteries are Auto Craft Gold group 65-2 cca @ 0 degrees 850, cca @ 32 degrees 1000, reserve cap 150. One battery is date coded 2-11 and the other 5-11 so at 9 years old no complaints. Planning a hunting trip to northern Maine this fall so extreme cold is definitely on the menu as possible. Any advice will be appreciated!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I am still like the Interstate Economy batteries. My 6.0 killed another set (~4 years, so I am not surprised at all, 6.0’s are ******* batteries), and I bought another set to replace them. I run the Economy batteries in everything..... The only one that doesn’t have an Economy is my 11 F-150. It still has a Motorcraft battery in it, and when it dies, it will get replaced with an Economy.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a Costco membership they are excellent batteries, and the best part is Costco doesn't goof around when it's warranty time or simply replacement after warranty is over. You bring both in even if ONE has failed and they honor the warranty for both and you get two new ones, since replacing one at a time is a big waste of time and not a good idea.

As for the type, what you have sounds great. I can't remember what mine are off hand but they are roughly equivalent to the specs you listed.

For even better stats group 31 batteries can be made to fit in these rigs with a little modification to the battery tray. I don't need to do that but others have and love it. Oh plus a 3g alternator mod, keeps things charged up and running nicely.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did some "Google"searching and found many saying odyssey 65-PC1750T batteries are exceptionally good in cold weather. Any Oil Burner's out there using these with good or bad experiences?

gandalf

Reaction score
+1 Costco. Kirkland brand batteries and diapers are an awesome deal. :bail

I too am running batteries from Costco. I'd have to check whether they're labeled Kirkland or Interstate. I suspect, other than the label, they're identical anyway.

These batteries are meeting my every need in the truck. However, they did not come with the diapers you mentioned. Where are you using those diapers on you truck? Do you have such a bad leak?

Sorry, the devil made me do it. Understand, I'm on lockdown, and bored to the extreme.

adamsanders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought two group 31 batteries from Rural King for about $160 total I believe. Just took a small cutoff wheel and trimmed the trays to prevent the lip from cutting into the battery case. Two years in and they are holding up well, even in the cold.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got tired of flooded batteries and them corroding the terminals. Went with AGM batteries and never looked back. Yes they cost more but they are worth it.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever battery you decide on use the NOCO professional battery washers under the terminals and then spray it with their protective spray. My dad started using the washers 30+ years ago and I've continued to put them on every battery we've worked on and I've never had a corrosion issue. I'm well into my 4 can of 50 so maybe 80+ batteries I've put them on. Marine, Farm, Lawn & Garden, Truck, Car, Top or Side post. The chemical has a acid neutralizing agent in it that helps seal the crack between the battery post and the case and neutralizes any gas or liquid that seeps past. They last longer than the batteries do, I've reused them in a pinch without issue. These are not the red/green blister pack felt washers you see at the parts stores. They are a dark maroon color and they are impregnated with a greasy red colored chemical. Then spray the terminal with the spray and you're totally protected against corrosion for the life of the battery.

Can probably find a online place that sells cheaper than their own site but here's the reference:

https://no.co/products/chemicals

https://no.co/b603 - can of 50 washers

https://no.co/a202 - Chemical Spray

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I run 2 group 31 batteries just Napa specials and at -20 with out the block heater plugged in she cranks just fine

Curious... what cca, terminal style, and warranty? I like Napa generally... just don't have one nearby.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Pretty sure it's a 9236 with screw on terminals and I think its a 950 cca

Thanks - number didn't jive.

Napa's #31100 ($278.29) and #31110 ($274.39) are quite on par spec-wise with Interstate's 31-MHD and 31-XHD.

I might consider 65's if/when I move the battery. More options and better warranty.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of good info here! Thanks to everyone, I'll report back with what I buy.