batteries finally died, Whats the good stuff?

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
i dont have a discover card

I must have misworded it.

I get the 10% cashback from using my credit card.

The $50 off is through Sears if you spend $400 on the batteries which would be the price initially. So anyone can get that.

I will go back and specify. I apologize for the confusion. ;Sweet

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got mine at vatozone. Agm's and they crank mine easily.I think they are the platinum ones they have. They were $320after tax. I want there because I Drive past vatozone every day but Sears is nearly an hour away at the mall and I hate people. so I don't go to the mall

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I had group 31 NAPA batteries in mine, only 700CCA's but 170 min RC. They lasted 7 years. They only had a 18 month warranty on them though. IIRC it was something like $160 for both of them way back when.

Those 700CCA's started my truck all the way down to zero with a dying starter. As far as I'm conerned, CCA's arent the biggest of deals as long as they are at that, or above. Reserve capacity is important. Probably the most important thing is the best warranty you can get for your money.

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
I had group 31 NAPA batteries in mine, only 700CCA's but 170 min RC. They lasted 7 years. They only had a 18 month warranty on them though. IIRC it was something like $160 for both of them way back when.

Those 700CCA's started my truck all the way down to zero with a dying starter. As far as I'm conerned, CCA's arent the biggest of deals as long as they are at that, or above. Reserve capacity is important. Probably the most important thing is the best warranty you can get for your money.

Did you have to modify anything to fit the group 31's? I can't believe your group 31's were only 700 CCA's, seems like that defeats the purpose of going to the bigger group 31 that usually won't fit in standard trucks without modifications. Unless maybe 31's give more RC; seems like that is what everyone always recommends as an upgrade so it must be for some reason lol.

Last edited:

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To fit the group 31's, I had to trim a lip off of the battery trays - the inside one closest to the radiator.
Might try looking at a place that deals with big trucks. Local auto parts stores were really high priced.
Found some at my local IH dealer (usually big $$$). They were running a sale for $70 each and they had 2 pallets of them.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good thinking, ill give the one down the street a ring

Ugly Moosling

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running a set from Costco. So far so good, but it's only been a few months. I researched it first and supposedly they're made by Johnson Controls, who also make Interstate and others. Costco's warranty is apparently decent and very easy to work with should you need it. I think it was $93 ea plus core charge.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I didn't have to do anything except watch out when putting them in as they are wide and you could smash your finger between them and the fender. Mine didn't have a strap to carry them just some grooves around the top on the sides. Battery cables fit extremely tight, the drivers side negative was the worst. I didn't have any hood clearance issues at all.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
“The second most important consideration is the Reserve Capacity rating because of the effects of an increased parasitic (key off) load and in emergencies. [RC is the number of minutes a fully charged battery at 80 degrees F (26.7 degrees C) can be discharged at 25 amps until the voltage falls below 10.5 volts.] More RC is better in every case! In a hot climate, for example, if your car has a 360 OEM cranking amp requirement, then a 400 CCA rated battery with 120 minute RC with more electrolyte would be more desirable than one with 1000 CCA with 90 minutes of RC.”

IIRC our starters are are rated at 3.6KW! That's 3600 watts or 300 amps at 12v. 300 amps isn't that bad if you stop and think about it. It's those 300 amps of draw when you cranking on it or 20 seconds when you have major amounts of air in the lines.

3.6KW is equivalent to 4.8hp, I always like doing that to put it into perspective.

I always told myself that if I were to live in an cold state, I would mount an 8D battery in the bed. Talk about a big battery! 1400ish CCA's and around 450min RC

Last edited:

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
The ones I posted where 930's and 135 minutes, although they are a little pricey but I guess it is just relative to what you want. I don't really care about a particular brand, just basically whatever the best mix I can find of CCA, RC, ease of replacement, warranty length, vs price. So to me those aren't a bad buy especially when considering some are $200-$400 a piece.

Is there any reason people switch to group 28's, 29H, 30H, 31's, etc or any other specific styles vs the group 65? I know they are different sizes but do 31's always have a ton better CCA and RC rating then other groups specifically. I know the 28-31's that I listed are technically put as heavy duty commercial 6 cell batteries and group 65's are listed as light duty commerical 6 cells according to the BCI Group Chart, but that doesn't really tell me much.

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
When I posted "group 35's" above, it was incorrect.
I meant 31's, just couldn't remember for sure.

I thought they were higher CCA, rc, maybe "deeper cycling?"

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Running Costco 65s. No complaints, good price, and their warranty is about the longest/easiest you'll find. I accidentally let the headlights on for a few hours yesterday (probably around 4), and the truck still didn't hesitate to fire off.

Mike