banks turbo question...

turbonator

gm diesel guys, AKA turbonator
Reaction score
hey guys, has anyone ever tried the banks NON-waste gated turbo on a 6.5l? this might be a good question for towcat...what say you?

IamDave0887

IDI nutcase
Reaction score
I can tell you the Banks nonwastegated charger(i think it's the T04B, someone correct me if i'm wrong) on my K-5 is pretty slow to build boost, but it doesn't sound like it. My friends say it whistles like an ol Mack, yet i've rarely topped 5 psi boost in that truck.

Boost comes in around 1700-1800 RPM or so. By 2000 rpm depending on load/terrain i'll see anywhere from 1.5 to 3 lbs of boost.

It certainly flows better than the GM-x factory turbochargers.

Before the install i set a GM-5 and the Banks charger next to eachother. The Banks turbine housed made the gm-5 housing look like something you'd put on a honda. :eek:

turbonator

gm diesel guys, AKA turbonator
Reaction score
I can tell you the Banks nonwastegated charger(i think it's the T04B, someone correct me if i'm wrong) on my K-5 is pretty slow to build boost, but it doesn't sound like it. My friends say it whistles like an ol Mack, yet i've rarely topped 5 psi boost in that truck.

Boost comes in around 1700-1800 RPM or so. By 2000 rpm depending on load/terrain i'll see anywhere from 1.5 to 3 lbs of boost.

It certainly flows better than the GM-x factory turbochargers.

Before the install i set a GM-5 and the Banks charger next to eachother. The Banks turbine housed made the gm-5 housing look like something you'd put on a honda. :eek:

are they one in the same turbos, the gm banks and the ford banks?

IamDave0887

IDI nutcase
Reaction score
are they one in the same turbos, the gm banks and the ford banks?

Negative. The 6.2 Banks chargers were non-wastegated(T04B) turbos.

The 6.9/7.3 chargers were non-wastegated at first and later on were wastegated.

The chargers are quite different as the Banks setup for the 6.9/7.3 was a center mount setup, sort of like the 6.5 vans, where as the Banks 6.2 setup sets the turbo on the same side as a 6.5 setup, but further forward towards the core support and lower down as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron