banks turbo exhaust question

jocephus30

Reaction score
First off here are the specs on the truck i have 1986 crewcab dually 4x4 auto. It has the "original" non sidewinder style banks turbo kit both turbo and the motor have only 18000 miles on them new motor turbo rebuilt at that time it was in 2001. My question is the muffler was cut out and a strait pipe welded in place. My question is this causing my turbo to never really spool up. When with a loaded trailer boost seems fine running about 10 psi and at that tome running about 800 om egts. The truck unloaded though even at full throttle never gets over 3 psi. Any advice would be appreciated really love the old girl and want to keep her in the best shape I can.

jocephus30

Reaction score
Thats the thing no matter how ******* throttle no smoke at all and honestly she feels pretty gutless my 91 7.3 with 5 speed had what felt like more power. Also i have never messed with turbos so how could i test for a boost leak?

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
look for exhaust soot around the connecting joints...being out of time bad injectors worn ip will all cause MAJOR loss of power...get your fuel system up to par and timed than go from there

jocephus30

Reaction score
Aftet reading several articals on this site i do belive my timing is off once i get healed up thats one of the first things im going to fix. On the soot i do have it built up almost inch or 2 on my mudflap obviously right by the exhaust end. Also the fuel system only has 18000 miles on it but the work was done in 2001 are there any seals i need to be checking on. I am going to have to replace the return lines its leaking on the #1 injector but could that little air intrusion cause that lack of power.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Your lack of power comes from the older injection pump and injecters. I'm reading 18,000 miles on them but wonder if its 180,000 miles since 2001.. Was the fuel system replaced at the rebuild time back in 2001. If so then you really need to time the rig. I rent timing meters so if you need more info send me a pm where we can talk. I have done this on this forum for many years with modest sucess. Some members have screwed me over but thats in the past now. Timing is very effective to proper hp and fuel economy with these engines. Not knowing what the timing is will ruin a good running low power engine causing you to think its a boat hauling an anchor. As for low boost unloaded thats normal. The turbo builds boost by the exhaust flow and the temp of the gas going thru the exhaust. The hotter exhaust gas makes for higher boost numbers. Are you running 3.55 or 4.11 gears in the 4x4.

jocephus30

Reaction score
I have all the paper work on the motor and turbo bill it was an old man in his 80s kept the truck up really well also in the soot its actually more of the rubber actually melted up. I am running 3.55s in the rear axle and yes it was new injector pump at the same time as motor well about a month later. Also ill shot you a pm as soon as im reading to rent and thank you alot for offering that kind of service im dont really mess with motors just fix them so really didn want to sink money into a timing light for what will hopefilly be a once and while use. But yeah i got pretty lucky with the truck it was this old mans daughter had no clue what she had just gave me list of stuff replaced at the same time motor was done transfercase and trans were both rebuilt too. Heck this guy was so detailed i have every fuel fill up from 80,000 miles some time in the early 90s all the way up to 267,000 miles when everything was replaced. Anyways thank all of yall on this site for all the help.

Reaction score
Timing will help with the power, but something definitely seems off with those boost numbers. I have the non-wastegated Sidewinder on my truck, and even before I set my timing I could hit almost 10lbs boost at WOT near the governor while empty. Cruising at freeway speeds I see 2-4 lbs just keeping a steady speed on flat ground.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger