Bad Injector - How to Locate?

adamsanders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been a while but after a couple of years of great service I've had problem come up on my 7.3 N/A IDI. This forum helped me greatly a couple of years back when I was going though an injection pump problem so I figured this would be the best place to ask.

The truck had been running absolutely great for about 2 years and I recently got a new daily driver. After about a week of sitting I went to crank it up and I noticed a little rough idle but nothing that really concerned me and I started off down the road. I quickly noticed a constant stream of blue smoke pouring out of my tailpipe and every now and then I could hear a faint knock/tick from under the hood. I assumed I had a bad injector so when I got back I started cracking each injector line open one at a time. All 8 made the truck start to miss so I couldn't get a definitive answer there. I also listened to each injector with a stethoscope and while one or two may have been louder than the others slightly, I'm not sure this is definitive either.

I had to drive it yesterday for some work I was doing, I even had to pull a 3-4K trailer a short distance and it still had the same power as before but it was smoking terribly (blue) the whole time. The exhaust smells like pure kerosene. EGT's were fine according to my pyro and no injection lines were warmer than the others. Where should I look next? I don't care to put new injectors in it but I'd like to be able to confirm this is my problem before I dump $400 into it. What should I listen for in the stethoscope and where on the injector should I put the probe? Thanks in advance!

Also, I noticed a ton of grey smoke pouring into the intake through the CDR (or at least it looks like that looking down from the top). Not sure if that's relevant symptom or if it's just due to fact that the engine is running poorly.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easiest way I've found for checking injectors is, as Wes suggested in other threads, using a laser digital thermometer and shoot injector lines at injectors seeing which injector is running substantially cooler than the others. Then check out suspected injector further or compression of all cylinders. At least you stay clean at first. Laser DTs are around $20 now or better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online