axle pivot bushings and leaf spring bushings

cowboytueller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys I went to a shop to have my axle pivot bushings replaced and they refused to do it because I bought them instead of having them buy the bushings and they said they didn't know how to do them! So I was gonna give them a try myself and I wanted to do the leaf spring bushings too. Any advice would be appreciated. The bushings are from skyjacker and they're poly bushings just to let you guys know. Should I replace the springs with stock or should I get a lift kit. I wanna get a lift kit, but need to get the money first, but the bushings need to be done soon, the wear is showing on my front tires. thanks;Sweet

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I imagine you are talking IFS. (please put your truck and relevant info onto a signature so you can get more accurate help!!!)

I recently did a rough country 4" lift on mine. My drop bracket for the passenger side had broken at the mounts and the kit included them. I did pivot bushings at the same time. Not easy, but doable in the driveway. I suggest you check the brackets closely at where they bolt to the cross member as mine had apparently been progressively getting worse for awhile!!!!

I drilled around the rubber of the old pivot bushings, being careful not to damage the seat for the bushings. when it was ready to be installed, you either press them in (the professional way) or use a BOH (Big old hammer)(redneck way :sly) and necessary material to protect the bushings :idiot: to get them seated in the axles.

It was easier because I was doing the lift at the same time. You will need to drop the axles to do this and have someone to steady the axles when disassembling, seating the bushings and reassembly.

The Rough Country kit was only $609 almost anywhere, don't remember how much the bushings were. I went ahead and installed longer brake lines (http://www.4wheelparts.com/) as the rear was questionable as to being long enough with the lift.

The whole project took about 3 easy days in the driveway. That long because I had to wait till the next day for u-joints, got some better bolts (grade 8 ) for the support between the longer pivot brackets, etc. also had some family activities to fit in as it was done on my vacation week.

The procedure is similar for the leaf spring bushings. The kit came with them so I didn't have the fun of removing the old ones.

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This job is not easy, no frontend work is ever easy. I had to make a "press" out of all-thread and large washers to get the axle pivot bushings in place. You would not believe the amount of work required to get the old rubber/rusted sleeves out of the old springs. If you had new springs you possibly could skip this step, unless your new plastic bushings require the old metal sleeves(I believe some do).