Auxiliary tank in bed

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone put an auxiliary tank in their bed? Purposes being to extend range and to be able to pump fuel out for other purposes, like a generator. Of course more generators are gas than diesel, and diesels are usually louder, but anyways.

I've essentially seen 3 designs in general. One is L shaped and part of it is above the bed. I'm not sure I want the tank taller than the bed, I'd want to be able to put a cover on it (not that I have one other than a canop). The other two are square, one type is simply the tank. The other type has a built in toolbox. But the toolbox doesn't seem to be more than 6 inches deep, if that. So not sure it's worth doing that. Instead just get a separate toolbox for tools and carrying other things...

They seem to run 300-1000 used on craigslist. Of course I could put in the blazer tank or whatever in place of the existing rear tank, but that would only gain me ~15 gallons over stock.

Thoughts?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
never seen one. :eek:

actually, this one was robbed off a generic 90's Isuzu, UD or Hino cabover. totally DOT legal. 35gal cap. Local wrecking yard gave me three of them :D

Attachments

• P1030229.JPG
    P1030229.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 31
  • P1030228.JPG
    P1030228.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 26

diesl dale

Reaction score
I have a Handy Fuel & Tool box I bought 15 years ago. This is the 4th truck it has been in. Holds 55 gal of fuel and I installed a Holly electric fuel pump on it with a switch on the dash. I tapped into the front tank filler hose and I can transfer fuel while driving. Really nice when I have the 5th wheel hooked up and don't have to find a fuel station I can fit into. Yes, the tool box is only about 6" deep, but it holds all the tools I need to carry.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a 100 gallon tank in the bed, computer controlled in my 99 PSD. With a full load of fuel, 140 Gal. I can go ~1750 miles before fueling up at 13MPG pulling my 33 ft 5er, still have ~ 90 Gal reserve. I run at 55 - 60 MPH.

I stole it from a guy that used to Hot Shot for $400. There $1400 new.

Same as this, only a 100 Gal.
http://www.xtremediesel.com/transfe...jdZRNGo31meqpPFxl9CtKfKDlRNCEbqC4UaAr9o8P8HAQ

Last edited:

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 25 gal low profile tank that sits beneath my toolbox. I didnt want to lose too much bed space but didn't have any use for the area under the toolbox. This one just happens to fit. Found it locally. I can get some pics later if you want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll get some for you tomorrow or so. It's a homebuild so no make/model. Looks good and secured to the bed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

abepratt

Reaction score
I've got a Handy fuel and tool that I had on my flatbed. Worked great for me but I sold the truck. Where are you located? I could dig it out and sell it

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone put an auxiliary tank in their bed? Purposes being to extend range and to be able to pump fuel out for other purposes, like a generator. Of course more generators are gas than diesel, and diesels are usually louder, but anyways.

I've essentially seen 3 designs in general. One is L shaped and part of it is above the bed. I'm not sure I want the tank taller than the bed, I'd want to be able to put a cover on it (not that I have one other than a canop). The other two are square, one type is simply the tank. The other type has a built in toolbox. But the toolbox doesn't seem to be more than 6 inches deep, if that. So not sure it's worth doing that. Instead just get a separate toolbox for tools and carrying other things...

They seem to run 300-1000 used on craigslist. Of course I could put in the blazer tank or whatever in place of the existing rear tank, but that would only gain me ~15 gallons over stock.

Thoughts?

I welded up a rack that holds six, five gallon military style tanks. It's cheap and you don't need a pump, just pour it in. Plus you don't get the sloshing around that occurs with a half empty 100 gallon tank, I had one and got rid of it 'cause it was a royal pain on icy roads.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I welded up a rack that holds six, five gallon military style tanks. It's cheap and you don't need a pump, just pour it in. Plus you don't get the sloshing around that occurs with a half empty 100 gallon tank, I had one and got rid of it 'cause it was a royal pain on icy roads.

What are the rules on bed tanks. Is it legal to gravity feed from one of those tanks?

Last edited:

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

@mu2bdriver, yes would like to see a picture and the make/model of the tank.

Measure about 48x22x8. Ball valve on side feeding into front tank. Six bolts holding it down. Baffles in it to prevent sloshing. Fill through toolbox top.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Measure about 48x22x8. Ball valve on side feeding into front tank. Six bolts holding it down. Baffles in it to prevent sloshing. Fill through toolbox top.

From what I understand, DOT would be worried something in the bed might slide forward and break that valve off the tank. Then there is no way to stop all that fuel from emptying out of the tank.

https://www.transferflow.com/regulations

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Neat pictures, thanks.

As for where I live, eastern Washington, so shipping the thing wouldn't be cheap? And not sure it would make sense to drive so far. And have yet to discuss actually doing this with DW.

Ya I suppose 38 is a decent upgrade from 19. But an additional 10 gallons or so beyond that sounds so cool, lol. I'll look up more tank options, no idea how much the 38 gallon one would cost.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, DOT would be worried something in the bed might slide forward and break that valve off the tank. Then there is no way to stop all that fuel from emptying out of the tank.

https://www.transferflow.com/regulations

Good point, thanks. I just modeled this after what a previous owner did and didn't think about what you mentioned.
For me, this was easier than the 38 gal aft tank because I was sick of moving the spare tire around in the bed depending on what I was carrying. If you don't mind the spare issue, getting the large rear tank is probably the best bet. There are also larger forward tanks; one member here had a 40 gal forward tank in his truck.