automatic Transmission

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
Your TPS is taking a crap. The TPS is located on the injection pump, 3 wires go into it. This controls a few things with the trans. Lock up and overdrive engagement will be affected when the TPS dies. A new one is expensive, the most efficient way to manage a replacement is to buy a $5 variable resistor from radio shack and wire it in place of the TPS. Put the variable resistor in the cab somewhere on the dash, so you can control the speed in which overdrive comes in. The resistor needs to be adjustable up to around 5k ohms or so. Unplug the harness from the tps and splice into those wires. Also place a jumper wire in place of the trans relay in the fuse box under the hood. Look around on the web, or google it, there are a few tech articles out there with diagrams and pics of the proceedure.

Reaction score
Well i didnt anything to it but the problem has progressed. I now only get Overdrive at Full Throttle as soon as i let off its out of overdrive again? If its the TPS is there anyway to tear it apart snd fix or just buy a new one?

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
Well i didnt anything to it but the problem has progressed. I now only get Overdrive at Full Throttle as soon as i let off its out of overdrive again? If its the TPS is there anyway to tear it apart snd fix or just buy a new one?

If I remeber correctly, a new TPS cost about $150. This is highway robbery. Do yourself a favor, and eliminate your tps.
Here are a few links that might help you.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGkjLtd...elgiant.com/dodge_diesel_maintenance_tips.htm

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGkkqwd...ticles/12130-replacing-tps-potentiometer.html

If you replace the tps with a potentiometer, you'll be happy with the results.

Reaction score
well I decided to try the elimination idea to no avail. Didnt work and i tried everything. So i might have to break down and spend the cash to get a new TPS. But the cheapest one around here is about 250$ OUCH!

Reaction score
well its fixed, I realized we had a couple old dodges at my granparents and i took the TPS's off of them. But now i have to parts pickups. 94 dodge 2500 4X4. Reg cab diesel. 97 dodge 3500 ext cab V-10. So i have extra parts if anyone needs any.