Automatic hubs

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My passenger side automatic locking hub (Dana 60 Monobeam) needs to be overhauled...

Started making noise similar to timing belt or the sound the chain in transfer case makes...

Replaced both inner and outer bearings and races with a new seal...

Noticed that the grease around the hub changed from red to greyish color and wanted to replace bearing in locking hub and repack it too...

Seems that nobody offers overhaul kits or bearings for our automatic locking hubs anymore, that I could find...

Does anyone have a solution besides replacing them with manual locking hubs...

I really want to stay automatic, but of course I will switch if there's no other alternative...

What say you?

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that my locking spindle key was broken in TWO places, but the good news is that torque king still has them and they have dropped from $70 to $12 per,,,

Yes, I did pay that price once, but the alternative was spending over 250 bucks for manuals...

Here's a picture for those who don't have the slightest clue as to what I'm talking about...
They lock the spindle nut so it doesn't come loose and the whole wheel falls off...

You must be registered for see images attach

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DaytonaBill, Ford did offer a hub parts kit for the auto hubs. I bought a couple of them a few years ago. No idea if they are still available but I will get you a part number when I get back home later. The parts kit included a new hub cap o-ring, new cap bearing and spring, key, locking ring and cap screws. Of course, the "inner workings" of the auto hubs do not get greased, but rather are "dipped" in atf before reaasembly.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for your help!

Was tired after work today and took a nap as soon as I got to motel and just woke up... Sorry for the delay, am very interested in finding a solution...

None of the links actually pointed me to the kit I need and I think posting an exploded diagram of my automatic hub would help to show which hub I have...

Being that mine is a '92-'94 hub kinda complicates things as Ford has deemed it obsolete... All I need is the bearing inside item #2 and notice that in the picture, it shows item 3, 4, 8 and 9...

Those are for the '95 to '97 automatic hubs... Mine doesn't have those... But it has all the rest...

The bearing looks like this... And is located inside item #2...

Last edited:

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it doesn't have a part number on it?
Hmm... Thanks. I didn't think of that before...

Tried to get it out before but o ring pliers was too short. When I get back home tomorrow, I'll find one and get it out and see what we got...

Thanks again, will post back tomorrow nite, maybe Monday...

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bearings are bearings. Get the bearing information and cross reference it. Should be an easy part to find.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pictured is what comes in the F1TZ-1K106-A hub kit:

DaytonaBill, I am not sure if these parts are the same as the parts you have in your auto hubs - yours seem to be different. The pictured parts match the parts in my 1994 F350 auto hubs with the exception of the "key" pictured inside the rubber o-ring. The "key" on my hubs is shaped a bit differently. On my hubs, one of the balls fell out of the "cage" of the bearing that sits inside the outboard end of the spindle under the hub cap. This "kit" was the only place I could find that bearing. below are some pictures of that bearing, but this does not look like the bearing you are looking for.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I didn't get the chance to find long snap ring pliers...Napa online says they've got some, but too short...

Going to Amazon and try again next week since I have to travel Wed and come home Fri...

At least the hub is behaving except that the right one with the bad key is warmer than the left one... I've already got the replacement key and will swap it out tomorrow...

What's the deal with the changed instructions with the torque method for the spindle nuts?

I've always torqued it down to 50 ft lbs and back off and retorque and back off a few times then torque fingertight and then turn 1/4 turn and lock it...

Now they're saying torque to 25 INCH pounds from finger tight before locking...

Wth?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can't find it, like @Dirtleg said, bearings are bearings. If you get us dimensions we can help you find one.

I needed a thrust bearing for a transfer case that nobody sells parts for. Took a couple quick measurements and this unobtainable bearing was about $6 on Amazon.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I FOUND IT!!!

I forgot about this piece that "fell out" when I pulled the locking hub out... Silly me, it's the shield from the ball bearing...

When I googled FAFNIR, all the hits that came back was talking about some mythical creature... Wth?

So I googled 202KD and BINGO!

The Ford-Dana 60 Automatic Locking Hubs use shielded ball bearings...

AND

Ebay is loaded with them!!!

Cheap too!!!

Tbrumm, didn't you say that the "inner workings" are supposed to be dipped in ATF upon assembly? Just wanted to confirm?

Hot Diggity Dog! Thank you everybody, I learned something new, the fine art of looking up bearings!

Ok, gotta go slap that new puppy on (spindle nut locking key) have a lotta stuff to do before everything shuts down for New Years...

Happy New Year EVERYBODY and think about all of the members that are gone or disappeared from this great forum...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online